Ranger's Apprentice Strikers

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Ranger's Apprentice Strikers

Post by Daerir »

Okay so I've decided to make a pair of RA Strikers and they're description is very simple. Two brass rods 5-6 inches long (or long enough to fit in your palm), with lead weighted end caps that can be used as knock out clubs or kubatons, or they can be threaded together and made into a longer club.

I have two brass rods 6 inches long and I have no idea what kind of pipe fitting or brass fitting I could use to close the tubes off and to screw them together. Ideas?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Ranger's Apprentice Strikers

Post by Peter Remling »

Any plumbing store will have pipe fittings. There are copper pipe caps and connectors. The only issue might be that when screwing the two pieces together you'll have a hump in the middle where the connector is. The only way around this would be to use a tap and die set to make one end of one of your rods female and the other threaded male. To do this would require your rods to be either solid or have thick enough walls to accommodate the threading.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I had considered that but my plan was to fill the pipe with sand and have the ends capped off but still have the thread together capabilities.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

If the brass rods are hollow it will be hard to make them screw together. If you could find solid rod the same as the internal diameter you could make end plugs and drill and tap holes in them, then you would need a short length of threaded bar to screw the two pieces together. If your brass rod is the same diameter as copper pipe you can cap it with copper solder fittings, brass contains copper and should take to plumbing solder if you use plenty of flux, if you make the threaded plugs from ether brass or copper you might be able to solder them in place to. Hope this helps :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

If you're set on using hollow tubes to make the things - have you looked into restaurant/wire shelving parts? If your brass pipe is the right diameter you might be able to tap it and then get something like this to join them:

https://www.shelving.com/Double-Sided-P ... poo-pc.htm

That said, I think given what you want to accomplish you'll be happier getting solid brass stock and paying someone to drill and tap the one and thread the other.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.