Budget Authenticity: Pattern/Instruction Nockert type 1

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Budget Authenticity: Pattern/Instruction Nockert type 1

Post by caedmon »

photo(1).JPG
photo(1).JPG (93.39 KiB) Viewed 18545 times
This is a good basic tunic that was used throughout Europe from 1000-1500. With simple modifications it can be made to have split skirts, or an angled bottom (like the leather jerkins of the Rangers of Ithilin in the Two Towers movie).

This pattern is based on the tunic of Bocksten Man, a bog find find from about 1300 in Sweden.
sample cutting diagram for pattern
sample cutting diagram for pattern
cuts.jpg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 18476 times

Let's get started with instructions.

The pattern, and cutting

First the body:
The body of the kyrtle is one piece without a shoulder seem.

Measure the length of the kyrtle, mid-knee or thigh(?) to the shoulder, double it and add six inches.

Next measure around your widest part; chest, waist, hips, butt, whatever. Divide by two and add three inches.

Depending on your height and girth and how long you wish to make it, it will be between 80" - 100+" long and 20' - 35+" inches wide. These two numbers are the rectangle of the body piece, cut 1.

Next The sleeve:

Measure from just over the top of your shoulder down to below your wrist. Measure your wrist, and around the widest part of your arm. Cut a rectangle from the two largest measurements. Now, take the measurement of your wrist, plus 2 inches and center it on one edge. Measure 1 hand span out and cut two triangles. this tapers your arm, and gives you gussets for more room while swinging swords at orcs.

Gores:

Next, measure from the bottom of where you want the tunic to be to just above your natural waist add four inches. Divide your widest part measurement by 4. Cut 4 rectangles at these dimensions, cut these on the diagonal, for eight right triangles.
Cut two 8" x8" squares. These are under arm gussets. Cut two 2 inch by wrist circumference rectangles. Cut a 2 inch by neck circumference + 6 inches rectangle. These are for cuffs and neck hole.

Finally Back to your Body Rectangle:

You will need to split the front and back for gores. use the length determined in previous step to determine your split. (Bottom of Tunic to just above natural waist)

And cut a hole for your head. Neck holes are their own special area, and I will cover them in their own post. If you are impatient, fold the body rectangle lengthwise, cut a line at the fold about the width of you head (ear to ear)then cut a little down on the front 2' -3 " this 'should' make a hole big enough to put your head through without ripping fabric. (don't force it!, if you need more cut down more than the 2".

Congratulations, you now have cut out your pattern. Next step, starting to sew.

Sewing:
First, sew the triangle gussets to the sleeve. This seam gets a workout, if hand sewing use a back stitch and reinforce it.

gussets.jpg
gussets.jpg (4.16 KiB) Viewed 18476 times

Next sew the side gores to the torso. If hand sewing a tight running stitch or a back stitch will work. once again reinforce.
gores.jpg
gores.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 18476 times
.... Tune in next time for more on sewing a Bocksten based Nockert type 1 kyrtle, and thank you for your patience.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Budget Authenticity: Pattern/Instruction Nockert type 1

Post by caedmon »

The next step is fairly complex, not sure how to draw it yet. The basics are:

3. join the top several inches, or entire length of the front & back gores (Makes a diamond or triangle shape).
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG (34.77 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
Sew down the edges with a hem stitch.
Sew one side of the gore in. Remember, RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER!
Sew one side of the gore in. Remember, RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER!
IMG_0008.JPG (63 KiB) Viewed 18261 times
4. Sew in the gore to the split in the fabric

Step a. with right sides together, sew one side of the gore to one side of the split.

IMG_0006a.jpg
IMG_0006a.jpg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 18261 times
Step b. turn the material over, fed the edge through the split, and stitch
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG (56.97 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
Step c. Now reinforce with a hem stitch
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG (64.84 KiB) Viewed 18256 times

like shown here:

http://www.cottesimple.com/gores/gores.html

Images and sewing instructions to come. Also will require that I add another stitch type.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

After the front and back gores have been added, it is time to add the arms.

5. Determine the top of the shoulder by folding the body of the tunic and marking the top of the fold. A standard way of making this mark is to cut a small notch at the fold.

6. Do the same to determine the middle-top of the sleeve.
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG (45.94 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
7. Match the notches on the sleeves, and sew them onto the body of the kyrtle with a back stitch and reinforce.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG (33.85 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
Ok, now all of your pieces are sewn together. We don't have far to go.
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ok, now we sew up the sides.

8. Start about 3 inches up from the cuff edge, sew a line up from the sleeve, on down all the way to bottom of the skirt. Most of this can use a running stitch, you should use a back stitch in areas of great wear. Potential areas for back stitch would be elbow, arm pit, and waist. Do this on both sides and reinforce.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG (37.46 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
There are still two more steps, but you now have a kyrtle that can be put on.
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Next to the last is hemming.

You have to hem the sleeve cuffs and the bottom of the skirt.

I will explain hemming in more detail here.
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

After hemming the last thing to do is the neck/collar. Here are several varieties, most are historically documentable.
The classic Keyhole neck
The classic Keyhole neck
IMG_0016.JPG (27.76 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
Side hole, like the Coronation Gown of Otto IV
Side hole, like the Coronation Gown of Otto IV
IMG_0018.JPG (27.87 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
V-neck, like the St. Louis Shirt.
V-neck, like the St. Louis Shirt.
IMG_0019.JPG (367.51 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
Side closing, I don't have documentation on this one. But it looks cool.
Side closing, I don't have documentation on this one. But it looks cool.
IMG_0017.JPG (29.2 KiB) Viewed 18256 times
-Jack Horner

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm going to bump this to ask a general question that perhaps Taurinor or Udwin (maybe someone else) could answer (or Jack if he pops in)...in several posts, including the one in which the side seam from wrist to knees is sewn, the running stitch is recommended as a good choice, along with using the backstitch in areas of high wear. It also appears that we're just stitching two pieces of flat fabric together without folding them together or over on themselves to contain loose fibers/prevent fraying.

Will two loose edges running stitched together really hold okay, or do I need to fold them over each other first, and perhaps backstitch the whole thing, too? Let's just say I'm paranoid, and don't trust a running stitch. Also, let's bear in mind I'll be needing this information for stitching linen outergarments, not wool, for the sake of my new climate.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I am a compulsive back-stitcher, but with long seams like that, the running stitch starts to look much more attractive. In a garment like a tunic, with a lot of ease, the side seams are there to hold the front and back of the tunic together - they're not really structural. If you like, you can put on your wool tunic and move around in it in front of a mirror. The only seams that I expect you'll see a lot of pull at are the ones holding the sleeves to the main body of the tunic and the ones in the armpit area.

With that being the case, a running stitch should be fine. What I like to do when I use a running stitch is put in a backstich every few inches, so if the running stitch does fail, the seam can only split a little ways before hitting a backstitch and stopping. Just make sure to make the stitches as small as you can, which is much easier on a thin fabric like linen than it is on wool.

To tuck away the raw edges, I'd suggest using a flat-felled seam, like so:

Use a running stitch for the first seam and either a running stitch or whip stitch for the second. This will contain the raw edges, and also add some strength to the seam. Just keep in mind that the second row of stitches will be visible on the outside of the garment, so use a thread you don't mind being seen.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Yup, ditto what he said ^ on all counts. For peace of mind, I generally just go ahead and use a backstitch & flatfell (2 visible lines of stitches) for most applications--everything from clothing to utilitarian foraging sacks. With linen, if your backstitch (or running stitch + backstitches) is tight/strong enough, you can also just 'overcast' the raw edges instead of the flatfell, which near as I can tell is just a whipstitch that isn't held down. It's a little less bulky than the flatfell.
One technique I used for the inner seams of my breeches--where I didn't want to sit on the bulk of a flatfelled seam--was to first use a tight backstitch, press the allowance over, and then do a tight running stitch (about an 1/8th" in from the first seam) through all 4 layers of fabric with the raw edges overcasted.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Greg wrote:I'm going to bump this to ask a general question that perhaps Taurinor or Udwin (maybe someone else) could answer (or Jack if he pops in)...in several posts, including the one in which the side seam from wrist to knees is sewn, the running stitch is recommended as a good choice, along with using the backstitch in areas of high wear. It also appears that we're just stitching two pieces of flat fabric together without folding them together or over on themselves to contain loose fibers/prevent fraying.

Will two loose edges running stitched together really hold okay, or do I need to fold them over each other first, and perhaps backstitch the whole thing, too? Let's just say I'm paranoid, and don't trust a running stitch. Also, let's bear in mind I'll be needing this information for stitching linen outergarments, not wool, for the sake of my new climate.
Ok, this is old, and Taurinor and Udwin already answered the way I would. A flat fell is the way to go here.

that said... I was *assuming* a fulled wool which is quite a bit more fray resistant. For that I'd go with a reinforced stitch. But with linen, yeah, a flat fell all the way.
-Jack Horner

Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Caedmon, would you like to add this to the Wiki?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.