Nemo's Ranger Kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Nemo's Ranger Kit

Post by Erhilir »

I love it ! Do you now from whic period is it?
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Not specifically, though think it's relatively generic. I'd say maybe 16th or early 17th century? Don't quote me on that, though.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Ranger of Halt
Wanderer

Post by Ranger of Halt »

I've got to say that was all VERY nice. Love the knife. I also like the tent and pouches and... well the whole kit. :) Welcome to the form.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Welcome to the group, great pics of your kit. My questions are the boots and clothing hand made or purchased and if purchased from where? I really like the looks of your boots.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

The clothing and the boots are not hand made. I got the boots custom from Catskill Mountain Moccasins, the top, shorter vest from Ravenswood Leather and the longer vest underneath from Red Falcon Armory.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Very nice intro and I like the kit a lot too! Welcome to the boards. We look forward to learning a thing or two from you and hope you can do the same from us. I have a bota kind of like that one. A friend here on the forum sent it to me some years back. I like it, but was thinking that I need to move toward something more authentic.

I like the way you have thought out everything. It is very thorough.

The bow you are using: is it fiberglass or is the wood stained that color (in the pic it looks green)? Also, what's the draw weight?

Glad to have you here,
Eric
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

I try to restrain my critique unless it's asked for, glad to hear it appreciated.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Welcome good Sir!
Most everything has been said, however I would just exhort you in the fact that if we did not feel you were a cut above and very skilled at what you do, I am sure you would not have pulled critique on your first post!

Striving for excellence in your kit's authenticity is a proscess and even with such a great start as you have had, there is alway room to grow.

Rest assured, the kit and the thought behind it is exemplary! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Thanks!

The bow is a "Bear" fiberglass youth bow. It's green to begin with. In Dagorhir, bows can only be a maximum of 35 pounds, so that's what this is. I covered one limb with faux leather to make it look nicer without increasing the poundage, but then I forgot how I actually did that when I tried to cover the other limb. . .

I definitely want to get a heavier/real material bow eventually. In fact, really soon, hopefully.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

If you like to use faux leather on the fiberglass to disguise it somewhat, (which I enjoy doing quite often) You can cut a peice just like you would a "backing", and place it on the front with a layer of epoxy or that "Mighty Mend It" stuff. it will flex with the bow, add vertually no weight or poundage of draw, and look a lot better than raw fiberglass for costuming purposes.

Make sure you get a good grade of Faux leather (yes there are even good and bad faux leathers!) The cheaper vinyl with the cottony back should really be given a wide berth.
I like the stuff that actually looks like leather on the back. you can get it from JoAnn's, it isn't cheap but looks great.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Great looking kit! I really like your tarp, it's always a challenge finding shelter that it sufficient and light.
You were talking about how you would like to weather it and make it look battle scarred, please be careful doing that! What I mean is, I have seen some guys in the Civil War community ruin some very expensive items by artificially aging them, plus it never looks quite right. I have found that the best way to age something is through use. In February I went on a fairly hardcore Civil War march in Tennesse, marching from the site of Ft. Henry to Ft. Donelson ,about 16 miles over two days, through the Land Between the Lakes. Everybody's equipment took a real beating. If you just spend a couple of weekends hiking around, sleeping on the ground and cooking over a fire you're equipment will start to get a real nice patina to it without getting damaged.
You can't take the sky from me.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I'll keep that in mind. Most of the wear absolutely does have to come from using it constantly. There's no way I can replicate that. I guess what I mean is literal "battle scars," cuts and scrapes that look like they came from a fight where I was wounded. I'll definitely try to fade the stuff so it's not as vibrant.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yeah, I'd definitely discourage you from artificial weathering. The best weathering comes from lots and lots of use. Though life is full and I don't post here much lately, I hike at least weekly in my kit, build a fire, cook a quick meal, etc. No forced weathering will look as good as the real deal.

Your stuff is very well-thought-out. I can defininitely appreciate the time and effort that went into such a complete setup. Glad to see yet another Dag member strapping on sharps and going for realism!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Just now reading this thread and I'm SUPER impressed with your kit Nemo! You definately took time to think it out and I appreciate that! :D I don't think I have any reviews on it accept for I also agree that you should get a more realistic looking bow. And once you have that your kit will be even more improved!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Thanks!

A new bow would be great, especially a shorter one, and one that's heavier.