Dunedain Star Brooch...

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Dunedain Star Brooch...

Post by Faolan »

So Eledhwen, if we got the bronze versions done how much would it cost to plate them?

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Faolan wrote:So Eledhwen, if we got the bronze versions done how much would it cost to plate them?

Faolan
That could be an interesting idea... get a pile of bronze stars sent to Eledhwen and she can make a little profit plating them for us. I might go in for that. 8)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

LOL I have no idea.

I have a small home plating kit that I use for some of my jewelry and the insignia for the Roman signum I am building.

THe kit is something on the order of 50 = 60 dollars from Micro Mark and other places. Bottles of silver solution run around 30 dollars. Bottles of gold solution, depending on the purity level, range from 50 to 300 dollars a bottle.

In short, no clue how much it would cost to do one piece of that size in bronze.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I like the idea of stainless as an option, but the bronze silver-plated would look nice...I might have to get a few...some bronze to be plated for nicer occasions...stainless steel for the one I will beat to death on treks.

Of course I have to factor in the 2 others in my house as well.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd love either, though I'd be partial to plating a bronze one because it would age/patina nicely, but by the same token, I could articifially age a stainless steel one, and not have to deal with extra costs or scratching of the silver down the road...mine will be beaten to death, and a plated bronze star would quickly become a non-plated bronze star.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Is stainless an option?
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Erich will double check.. he said it was same price whether he did it in Bronze or Stainless Steel.. but it might be that we can get both.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

It looks like, once he makes the mold, we can order wither bronze or steel...it appears that we might be able to mix and match, but I will confirm it. Definitely looking like this is going forward.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Years of debate, finally coming to fruition. That's what this forum's all about.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Years of debate, finally coming to fruition. That's what this forum's all about.
I'm not so sure, I think we need to send this to committee !

:P
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

So we need $55 for set-up and mold. Erich, do you have a paypal account that we could contribute to? That way you can coordinate, since the contacts are yours, but you won't feel like you have to front the initial money yourself. The sooner we get this going the better!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

kaelln wrote:So we need $55 for set-up and mold. Erich, do you have a paypal account that we could contribute to? That way you can coordinate, since the contacts are yours, but you won't feel like you have to front the initial money yourself. The sooner we get this going the better!

Yes we do. But I think he needs to get a lil bit more info from the guy about if we can get it done in bronze or steele or both type of stuff.

Not to mention yeah there really does need to be an official VOTE so to speak.. on if everyone is ok with the pricing.. and if we can't get both... which metal do we want.. type thing.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The way I see it, we are all in agreement that we want to move forward. I have asked if he can cast both metals from one mold or if it will require two. Either way, I see us placing the order. The only decision is if we want one metal or two in the order.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'd vote for steel. It provides the silvery color and is tough enough to withstand just about anything. Aside from that stainless won't tanish (Too much) and doesn't need a second step (no electroplating needed).

It's also relatively easy to repolish.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I'd go for stainless steel as well.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.