Ultimate Ranger Cloak

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Ultimate Ranger Cloak

Post by Peter Remling »

Galaidia wrote:I'm confused, I was just posting what I used to make the cloak. I'm allergic to wool I can't get near 100% wool. It makes me break out in hives. Blended wools I can work with but have to wear rubber gloves.

Try trigger cloth or bleached cotton denim. Easy to dye the color of your choice. You can line it with quilted cotton material or synthetic fur (or real if no allergy) for warmth.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Can always line a heavy cotton/denim cloak with polar fleece, or line a wool cloak with linen or cotton depending on the level of your reaction to the wool. For those allergic to wool (like my wife) I recommend the cotton lined with fleece.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Galaidia wrote:I'm confused, I was just posting what I used to make the cloak. I'm allergic to wool I can't get near 100% wool. It makes me break out in hives. Blended wools I can work with but have to wear rubber gloves.
Sorry that was supposed to be to a reply Mirimaran about lining my hood.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

rangersamII wrote:
Sorry that was supposed to be to a reply Mirimaran about lining my hood.
LOL I missed the reply.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Chris, you did a great job on your cloak!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

rangersamII wrote:I used some military wool blankets to make my cloak, pics will be up soon. These are my directions and I honestly thought they were easy to understand but if you have questions, please ask.
Now that I think of it, when I was finished with this, I needed to do a little trimming. I beleive I trimmed the frint 2 pieces a little bit because they were dragging in front the way they hanged on my shoulders and I trimmed the hood back a little because it turned out huge on me.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Mirimaran wrote:I think your cloak looks great, Sam, as does everyone else's! To me it's whatever keeps the rain off and keeps you warm. Are you going to line your hood? Taurynor, I'd love to see more pics of yours. I want to do a detached hood and cloak sometime. My own is probably a little smaller than I would like. The original was long and wrapped well, and then I fulled it lol but it works, sometimes more like a big shawl with a hood, but it is warm and I have used it many times and it holds to its purpose.
Mine is really just a large rectangle. I wanted it to be large enough to use as a blanket, but not large enough to drag on the ground while I walk. Since I'm short, mine is 43"x70". When I got the wool, the first thing I did was run it through the washer and dryer on the hottest setting, so the weave would tighten. To put it on, I fold it (about) in half, pin it so there is enough distance between the fold and the pin for my head to go through, and pull it over my head. I wear the pin, and therefore the opening, to the left, so it leaves my sword accessible even when the cape is "closed". Here are some pictures of the cape without the hood.

ImageImageImage

This is it thrown back over my shoulders.

My hood is a combination of the two patterns on p.193 of "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant" (http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =25&t=1998).

ImageImage
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

You know, I've been meaning to show you guys this project: I recently tried to make a cloak specifically for cold-and-wet weather, which is what it always seems to be doing when I go out in kit. It came out more of a poncho, but it works.

Rectangular cloak, 7 ft. by 4 ft., with a head-hole and hood in the middle--inspired by the gum ponchos of the Civil War.

Outer layer is oilskin, inner is wool. There are no sleeves, but because it is narrower than it is long, you can use your hands freely without letting the rain underneath. All my gear and weaponry is easily accessible.

The weakness to this design is that, unlike Manveruon's shawl-style, this is not versatile at all. It doesn't open in the front, which is wonderful when it is pouring rain, but isn't what you want when it is muggier or warmer.

The strength is, it makes a great ground-cloth when it isn't being a cloak.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I dig it. The way it works is almost as if it was just a plain hood with a reeeeaaaally long shoulder mantle. It's actually very similar to my shawl style too. All that would need to change to make it the same would be to split it up the middle. And of course mine has no hood, but a hood could easily be added, if one were so inclined, which would make it almost identical to yours.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Gotta love the ol' cloak discussion. This subject has come up many times, and I've been through four-ish designs in the last several years since getting heavily into this hobby in my endless search for the impossible "all-purpose" cloak, so I figured I'd share my latest "creation" of sorts, which I just finished finalizing, and am now actively using in my overnight kit.

Cloaks are almost ALWAYS one of two things: Heavy, or Flimsy. If your cloak is lightweight (ie. costume grade fabric from JoAnns, etc.), there's a good chance (don't be offended by this if you're one of the few exceptions) that it can and will be torn to ribbons in the woods, and won't really provide any insulation or utilitarian purpose. If your cloak is of a heavier weight, such as a canvas or wool material, it won't generally suffer from that problem, but you may collapse of heat exhaustion instead. Not a pleasant trade-off.

Half-circle, 3/4 circle, and similar round-edged cloaks are lovely, for starters. They drape nicely, they keep their edges up and off of the ground (assuming you don't have them cut too long), and are kinda what everyone thinks of when they picture a cloak. Unfortunately, they use one whole heck of a lot of fabric. Even just a half circle cloak has to be twice as wide as it is tall (shoulder to bottom edge) to accommodate the shape, and there's a lot of material there that really isn't necessary. 3/4 circle cloaks compound this problem. A 3/4 circle wool cloak can be a solid ten pounds to be carrying around.

Rectangular cloaks have the distinct advantage of using less fabric. A rectangular cloak can be half as wide corner-to-corner as a half-circle cloak, but can still easily wrap completely around the wearer's chest without carrying around all that unnecessary fabric out to the leading edge. Unfortunately, rectangular cloaks have an opposite problem from the circular cloaks...in the middle along your ankles, the edge can be kept clear of the ground relatively easily, but the trailing corners have a tendency to drag. If you make your cloak short enough to consistently keep these corners off the ground, you will find the back center of your cloak so high that the cloak doesn't seem as useful as a blanket anymore.

Now, there are some short (waist- or thigh-length) cloaks that are useful, to be sure, such as Andy's Watch Cloak off the old meranger.com, or Caedmon's Osnaburg cloak, but these aren't as suitable to being used as a complete blanket for sleeping in on their own, and the point of my revision was to lighten my cloak and remove the need to carry a rolled wool blanket separately at the same time, so we'll put those cloaks in a useful, but unrelated category.

So how do we combine the best of both worlds to form an effective, lightweight, warm, (relatively) attractive, and rugged cloak? I can't promise this to be the end-all, but so far, I'm frighteningly pleased with it.

What I decided to do was cut an imperfect half-circle, of sorts. Not quite circular, and not quite an ellipse, it's almost a horseshoe.
What this does is get the trailing corners of a rectangular cloak up and off of the ground like a half circle would, but it limits the width of the leading edge so you aren't dragging around an unnecessary excess of fabric. I made mine with a heavyweight wool melton, and hiked with it for the first time last month on an 87-degree day, over a linen tunic and wool pants. Did I sweat? Yes. Did it seem unbearable? Absolutely not! I was thrilled. I had gotten to the end of stitching, and thought for sure that I had once again engineered something during the summer that wouldn't see any use until fall, but have been able to wear it around with reasonable comfort into July.

To keep the leading edge's corners from flopping around in front of me, I simply toss them over my shoulders. You can keep one of them free by slipping the other under a quiver strap, or simply tuck them both under your hood...wool sticks to itself; they don't come forward unless I pull on them.

So now, I have no wool blanket strapped to the side of my quiver, so there goes 2-3 pounds, and I'm not wearing a 3/4 circle heavyweight canvas cloak, either, which probably saves me about five pounds more. I almost feel like I'm not carrying enough...it's nice. *smile*

EDIT: I'll take some actual pics of it tonight...didn't mean to be cruel and tease this photo-loving forum with nothing but MS Paint...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

That's a very interesting design, Greg. I'm looking forward to those pictures. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm impressed, and totally intrigued! I can't wait to see the photos!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That design is great Greg!
I am in the same place with the others in the cheering section of the bleachers we want to see this! I am sure it is going to work well.

Since mine was a gift and was enthusiastically overmade, (full round hooded and drapes to my anckles) I figured I would run with it. The positive part of the copious amount of material is that I am virtually wearing a sizable tent.

If I sew a few 1" bronze rings along the hem at strategic points (sewing them around as we do on the leech and luff of a sail) I will have period gromits and be able to steak or tie it as needed.

I can also use my Helm in the hood to provide a better barrier for my ridge pole which, up to this point, has been my spear or hiking staff. It will look like a small green helmeted tee pee! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

In my mind the separate hood like Taurynor's is more in line with what Tolkein had in mind. In the Hobbit especially he talks about the Dwarves having their colored hoods, and Bilbo borrows "a dark green hood ( a little weather-stained ) AND a dark green cloak from Dwalin" This leads me to beleive that they were two completely separate items.
You can't take the sky from me.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I think you are spot on.