Hats

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Hats

Post by Willrett »

Peter Remling wrote:Jas Townsend has these available for $32 each.

http://jas-townsend.com/wool-felt-blank-p-249.html
I always liked these
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ringulf wrote:I am working on a hat right now that is devised from what I believe to be a type of leather/suede arming cap.
It is the one that is worn by William Marshal's spy (Jake Curran) in the Russel Crowe Robinhood.
I don't know why I like it so much, but I think it will work well for me shape and style-wise, both for the SCA and as a Dwarven Ranger when not wearing a helm. (I also think it will work well in my combat archery helmet, thus making it more than fashionable and possibly funtional beyond keeping the rain and sun off my knob!)

BTW does anyone have any other info on this hat beyond what I have here? I would love to actually find a pattern and also learn what those two little "x"-like straps are on the sides. :?
OK! So some of you may have seen my Thanksgiving pictures this year, and in a few I am wearing my new cap.
I finished a few of the leather arming caps that I mentioned above, one was actually for an arming cap for a friend of mine who will be trying her hand at seige weapons in the spring and the others were for Brandwyn and myself just for SCA/Ranger hats.

The odd thing that happened when making, then using the hats, was a little surprise of Experimental Archeology!
I first wore the hat the way it was designed to be worn in a helmet and as it was shown in the Robinhood movie.

It was doing a dandy job of protecting the back of my neck from sun and rain but when shooting or throwing I wanted more perriferal vision so, I rolled up the brim to get a bit more light and it was pretty cool looking but could not keep the sun out of my eyes.

I got the bright idea to turn the cap around so the rear point was facing forward and...viola! What does this resemble?

I could now shoot my bow unhindered and keep the sun out of my eyes. I can use it in either of three positions and truthfully I am not too far removed from Sam's Bag hat!

:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

THAT is such a GREAT hat!!!!!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You did a great job, Ringulf!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! It's perfect! Works great as an arming cap, a dwarf-hat, AND a "Robin Hood" hat. Nice work!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Manveruon wrote:Hah! It's perfect! Works great as an arming cap, a dwarf-hat, AND a "Robin Hood" hat. Nice work!
Hey I think you have something there Michael!

Arming cap~ Man

Silly in-between hat~ Dwarf

Robinhood archer cap~ Elf

The hat of the Free peoples of M.E.
The Free Peoples Cap...I like it! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Nice job on the hat Ringulf! It turned out very well!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Very cool hat. I like it. I might have to try making one myself one of these days.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Someone at TOR.N's Reading Room brought up Sam's felt bag hat recently, which led someone else to suggest that the Professor's one-off appearance of the hat was a subtle in-joke directed at C.S. Lewis. It seems Lewis was fond of wearing a distinctive felt hat, which he lost on several occasions, only to find it in various states of distress (though this apparently didn't stop him from wearing it!)

I wonder if somebody with a better grasp of google-fu could find a picture of Lewis in his Hat?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

That is a great discovery!
You can't take the sky from me.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

You can't take the sky from me.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

^^^ Agreed! Looks similar to the style of hat a "Witch Hunter" would wear.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Post by MasterStrong »

One of my hobbies is millinery. This has been a fantastic thread. I feel I need to come up with something different for my ranger headgear than what I currently have. With inspiration from here and a fair amount of research, we'll see what kind of trouble I can get into!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Bwahaha...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Post by MasterStrong »

Manveruon wrote:Bwahaha...
Yeah, you may know me TOO well.