Hats

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Hats

Post by wulfgar »

Tolkien doesn't often refer to hats in his writings. Sam starts out with a "shapeless bag" and Tom Bombadil has a hat I believe. Being one who is pretty much devoid of hair on the top of my head I have been considering making a hat to wear.
Something similar to this.

http://historicenterprises.com/images/hat-felt2013.JPG

Does anyone else wear a hat? I prefer a hat like this over a hood or the paneled viking style that I wore in the SCA.
You can't take the sky from me.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Hats

Post by Willrett »

I like the idea of a good hat. I just don't know what kind I would wear.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

wulfgar wrote:Tolkien doesn't often refer to hats in his writings. Sam starts out with a "shapeless bag" and Tom Bombadil has a hat I believe. Being one who is pretty much devoid of hair on the top of my head I have been considering making a hat to wear.
Something similar to this.

http://historicenterprises.com/images/hat-felt2013.JPG

Does anyone else wear a hat? I prefer a hat like this over a hood or the paneled viking style that I wore in the SCA.
I guess hoods were more the rage at the end of the Third Age.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am working on a hat right now that is devised from what I believe to be a type of leather/suede arming cap.
It is the one that is worn by William Marshal's spy (Jake Curran) in the Russel Crowe Robinhood.
I don't know why I like it so much, but I think it will work well for me shape and style-wise, both for the SCA and as a Dwarven Ranger when not wearing a helm. (I also think it will work well in my combat archery helmet, thus making it more than fashionable and possibly funtional beyond keeping the rain and sun off my knob!)

BTW does anyone have any other info on this hat beyond what I have here? I would love to actually find a pattern and also learn what those two little "x"-like straps are on the sides. :?
Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Looks almost like a leather helmet liner. Similar in some ways to a three piece coif, without cheek portions. But it looks a lot more like a helmet liner or padding to me. Otherwise, no clue.

I am careful of the sun since I have had actinic caritosis removed from my left cheek; I use hoods, for the most part, but I also have a very nice 'robin hood' style hat that I sometimes use on days when the sun isn't so much an issue. I also use a coif on occasion, and when not in the forests, veils.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes I am proceeding along the same assumptions, the armingcap/helmet liner, beefed up with padding was my first thought too.
I think the shape of the brim is interesting as it looks as though it would fit in a Sallet or something like that, the obvious crest padding is a big clue and those little side tabs look as though they could somehow fasten into the inner frame or cage of a helm.
But it seems to work perfectly well as a leather cap (or so they thought in Holywood) and is kinda scout/ranger/spy-like in my opinion. :wink:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I forgot about Gandalf's hat! Hardly practical for a Ranger though.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

wulfgar wrote:Tolkien doesn't often refer to hats in his writings. Sam starts out with a "shapeless bag" and Tom Bombadil has a hat I believe.
Here's the relevant passage describing Sam's 'hat'.
"Presently Sam appeared, trotting quickly and breathing hard; his heavy pack was hoisted high on his shoulders, and he had put on his head a tall shapeless felt bag, which he called a hat. In the gloom he looked very much like a dwarf."
The Lord of the Rings, Book I The Ring Sets Out, Chapter 3: Three is Company.

From the passage we might extrapolate that dwarves in the Late Third Age were similarly known to wear tall felt hats, but not in a pointy red garden-gnome way (at least I hope not).

The description brings to mind Baldrick's hat from the first episode of 'Blackadder':

Bombadil's is described as "an old battered hat with a tall crown and a long blue feather stuck in the band".
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

I generally like something fairly broad-brimmed when I'm outdoors, especially on the water--the sun saps a fellow something fierce. I just have yet to find something along those lines for my garb. I thought about incorporating an unplumed cavalier hat, but it just didn't seem like the look would be quite right. So, I make do with my hooded mantle.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The Brothers Hildebrandt thought quite highly of the cavalier type hat for Aragorn and showed him wearing it in several of there pictures of him!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I tried using my Longhunters hat..essentially an uncocked cavalier hat...it just doesn't seem to fit very well. I know what the Hildebrandts thought..but I disagreed with them from the first when I saw that painting. LOL

I find the hood works just fine so that is likely what I will stay with.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I like a hood, but it tends to limit peripheral vision. I currently own several hats based on the weather and need. I have a felt hat with a broad brim and a crusher style hat for those sunny days. For the cold days (like this past weekend) I wear a viking 6-panel hat made of wool. This is definitely the medieval beanie hat, very similar to the wool watch caps I grew up wearing on those rare cold days in the Carolinas. The 6-panel packs away neatly and the crusher can actually be crushed down and put in a pack if needed. The crusher is not quite the period look, but sunburn sucks and I have been burned too many times over the years.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

E.MacKermak wrote:I like a hood, but it tends to limit peripheral vision. I currently own several hats based on the weather and need. I have a felt hat with a broad brim and a crusher style hat for those sunny days. For the cold days (like this past weekend) I wear a viking 6-panel hat made of wool. This is definitely the medieval beanie hat, very similar to the wool watch caps I grew up wearing on those rare cold days in the Carolinas. The 6-panel packs away neatly and the crusher can actually be crushed down and put in a pack if needed. The crusher is not quite the period look, but sunburn sucks and I have been burned too many times over the years.
I agree about the hood affecting your vision, it also greatly affects your hearing. While very romantic, and practical in the rain or cold, hoods aren't very "tactical". When I was a medic for a scout platoon it was great because we got to wear boonie hats or PC's instead of helmets. One reason was that the helmet covered your ears and diminished your hearing, plus it was heavy as hell and hard to sneak around the brush in. In my opinion as a ranger who wants some sort of head covering but still needs to maintain unhindered vision and hearing, some sort of cap would be good. I may have to make another 6 panel hat or a medieval style cut down felt hat that has the back folded up like in my original post. I know it's not Tolkien, but I hate sunburned scalp.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Haven't had a problem with it myself. I have, on occasion, worn a simple coif. Really, those are the only two things I use for headgear; hood and coif. I suppose I have simply gotten so used to them that they no longer bother or impede me in any way. Something to ponder when I'm out on the hillside I think.

Hmmm, now I think on it, the crossover of much of my kit with St. Huberts' Rangers gear likely accounts for much of my comfort. I hunt in hoods and coifs. Hmmm

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

[Image

Maybe something like this could be made to work
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice