Socks or Footwraps

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Socks or Footwraps

Post by Arbellason »

Well here is a question that I have not seen on here so here it is footwraps or socks. I wold rather not us socks because of the fact that I do not believe socks are mentioned. Now a bit of linen, cloth, wool whatever being wrapped around the foot I have heard. So what do you all do for such a thing.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Socks or Footwraps

Post by Elleth »

socks and hose are old, old, old. Romans adopted them once they hit Britain, if not Germania, IIRC.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... gests.html

I think knitted wool socks / hose would be just fine for Middle Earth.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Alas, Tolkien gives few concrete details in describing his characters' clothing, much less footwear. For what it's worth, this piece at TOR.N provides a decent overview of Tolkien's clothing details (with a fair amount of extrapolation). That said, I feel the subsequent response of the user 'squire' is more in line with Tolkien's vision.
It is true there is no specific mention in The Hobbit or LotR of socks --but there is no specific mention of foot-wraps either.
However, I would argue that socks are probably known in Middle-earth, at least around the Shire: witness Tom Bombadil's naming of one of Meriadoc's ponies 'White-socks'.
Keep in mind that we tend to name things using other things we are familiar with (the same way that Tal-Elmar's nickname 'Flint-eye' reveals his society's familiarity with stone tools), so Bombadil's naming of a pony based on its white foot-markings is either the invention of the word socks, or he knows of socks already and names the pony accordingly based on the similarity.

Woolen hose, however, are Tolkien-approved: Sam Gamgee packed some when the Fellowship left Rivendell:
“...all the things that [Sam] had stowed...: his chief treasure, his cooking gear; and the little box of salt that he always carried and refilled when he could; a good supply of pipe-weed (but not near enough, I'll warrant); flint and tinder; woolen hose; linen; various small belongings of his master's that Frodo had forgotten and Sam had stowed to bring them out in triumph when they were called for....'No rope!'” (The Lord of the Rings, Book II The Ring Goes South, Chapter 3 The Ring Goes South)
I'm unsure what the 'linen' refers to--I doubt it's bedsheets or tablecloths--most likely underclothes, or maybe some fabric for patching garments?

Foot-wraps seem, historically, to be more of a military-oriented footwear. I'd say they'd be fine for a front-line soldier of Gondor or Rohan, and possibly for a Dunedain Ranger as well, owing to their simplicity and ease of maintenance.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Udwin wrote:Alas, Tolkien gives few concrete details in describing his characters' clothing, much less footwear. For what it's worth, this piece at TOR.N provides a decent overview of Tolkien's clothing details (with a fair amount of extrapolation). That said, I feel the subsequent response of the user 'squire' is more in line with Tolkien's vision.
It is true there is no specific mention in The Hobbit or LotR of socks --but there is no specific mention of foot-wraps either.
However, I would argue that socks are probably known in Middle-earth, at least around the Shire: witness Tom Bombadil's naming of one of Meriadoc's ponies 'White-socks'.
Keep in mind that we tend to name things using other things we are familiar with (the same way that Tal-Elmar's nickname 'Flint-eye' reveals his society's familiarity with stone tools), so Bombadil's naming of a pony based on its white foot-markings is either the invention of the word socks, or he knows of socks already and names the pony accordingly based on the similarity.

Woolen hose, however, are Tolkien-approved: Sam Gamgee packed some when the Fellowship left Rivendell:
“...all the things that [Sam] had stowed...: his chief treasure, his cooking gear; and the little box of salt that he always carried and refilled when he could; a good supply of pipe-weed (but not near enough, I'll warrant); flint and tinder; woolen hose; linen; various small belongings of his master's that Frodo had forgotten and Sam had stowed to bring them out in triumph when they were called for....'No rope!'” (The Lord of the Rings, Book II The Ring Goes South, Chapter 3 The Ring Goes South)
I'm unsure what the 'linen' refers to--I doubt it's bedsheets or tablecloths--most likely underclothes, or maybe some fabric for patching garments?

Foot-wraps seem, historically, to be more of a military-oriented footwear. I'd say they'd be fine for a front-line soldier of Gondor or Rohan, and possibly for a Dunedain Ranger as well, owing to their simplicity and ease of maintenance.
The linen could just be a general term used for bedding including blankets. Another thing it might be are handkerchiefs as Bilbo forgot to take his and it was a big deal to him.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Looking back to the dark ages there were all of these present in Northern European society.
Wanningas or putties where leg wraps used by the Norse and Hosen were used as well.
The word Hosen is germanic and varied in style and legnth as well as material. Wool, linen and even leather Hosen were used.
Socks as such I am not familiar with as far as origin and use, except for the fact that I know the early Norse wore woolen socks that were made by the crafting method called Nalbinding. This technique wove the skein of woven cord in a circle until it formed a straight bag open at one end, it was also used to make other types of clothing like hats and mittens. :mrgreen:

http://www.finniwig.com/nalebindinst.htm
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ancient Egyptians had socks. Socks are not new by any means. Other cultures would stuff raw wool which then felted into a kind of bootie. Even grass can work, as we see with Ötzi the Iceman.

I use socks in warmer weather, felted 'booties' in the Winter.

Eledhwenn
Nandalad!
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Arbellason wrote:Well here is a question that I have not seen on here so here it is footwraps or socks. I wold rather not us socks because of the fact that I do not believe socks are mentioned. Now a bit of linen, cloth, wool whatever being wrapped around the foot I have heard. So what do you all do for such a thing.
Considering how foot trouble will stop the best of people quickly, I make no compromise to authenticity with my feet and wear socks. Typically decent wool hiking socks. I want to be able to keep ranging not sitting in camp with my feet soaking and waiting for them to heal.

A lot of what sort of foot wrap or sock or hose you wear has to do with what sort of boot/shoe your wearing. Is it hand made specific for you? or is it mass produced? How much room is in the footwear or how form fitting is it? What style is it? Is it more a moccasin or boot? All this will change what sort of inner layer you use.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

heh I have size 13 feet and need a good pair of socks in any kit I wear.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Rifter wrote:heh I have size 13 feet and need a good pair of socks in any kit I wear.
Wow! you may also need some oarlocks! Hee hee, but you know what they say about a guy who has big feet...he needs big shoes! (now what were you thinking!) :roll:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Honestly...that I need big shoes since it's been what I've heard since I was in high school :) Any kit I buy boots and footwear are always the hardest and almost most expensive thing.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yeah it really can be but it is so important, most likely the most vital peice of equipment you will have to obtain, all kidding aside finding footgear on either side of the "normal" spectrum of sizeing is very difficult and leads you to expense or gaining greater skill yourself niether is always possible. Keep working on it because it is worth the effort! :mrgreen:
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Here is where I have stray from the "PC Middle Earth Path".

I wear 100% modern wool sock when it's cold, but they are never seen. I also carry 3 or 4 pair depending.

That way I always have a dry pair or two...the pair I am wearing and a pair drying out.

One thing I have learned is that cold, wet feet are miserable and will ruin a trip.

Care of of your feet and keep them dry and toasty.
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I myself generally wear modern socks, but this brings up a question for me as well, specifically for those out there who have done more period European reenactment.
So for those of you who have worn chausses/hosen in the past, do you tend to wear socks underneath them, or just use the chausses alone?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I wear modern socks under all my kit/ costumes. I really don't care if people see I don't have period socks on because they never see my feet. I also know most re enactors wear modern undies too ;) Anything that is 'seen' should look part of the costume/ kit. My boots , pants etc etc are all correct with my knightly kit, my ranger kit, strider costume or sci fi costumes I do. But I don't know anyone here who really looks at foot wraps or period socks
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I don't wear socks under my chausses, but I've only used them to walk around for a few hours at a time. When I finally get out into the woods, I plan to also bring a pair of 18th century wool stockings as back-up/additional foot coverings for if my feet get cold and/or wet. So, the plan is to go without socks, but have some, just in case. Then again, I also wear braies instead of modern underwear.

I sewed my chausses with no socks in mind, though, and was careful to not have any seams run under my feet, even though the pattern I was using for reference did. That seemed like a bad idea for long distance walking.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)