Waterproof Ranger boots?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Isaac Campbell
Wayfarer

Waterproof Ranger boots?

Post by Isaac Campbell »

I am looking for knee high leather ranger boots that have thin soles, and are waterproof/waterproofable.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Waterproof Ranger boots?

Post by Taurinor »

I don't know your specifications for a boot being a ranger boot, but you might like something like this: http://www.revivalclothing.com/restocke ... boots.aspx

I suggest that style because they are smooth grain leather, which could be treated to help with water resistance, and they don't have a slit up the sides - the excess leather is folded on itself and buckled down, which means there isn't a potential gap for water to get in. You could do something similar with laces, too. Also, they are based on some images from "The Book of the Hunt", which depicted medieval hunters, which is a group some forum members draw inspiration for their kits from.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

You can't really waterproof leather. You can rub a tallow-beeswax mix or similar into it to help with water repellency, but in time water will get in anyway. I suppose you could dip them in acrylic or something...but it would crack and be hotter than Mt. Doom in there.

I suppose you could wear plastic bags over your socks and out of sight in the boot...but that would be hot as previously stated.

Good luck.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

like Eledwhen, I done think it can really be done. Getting period looking boots waterproof that is. Perhaps gortex socks underneath regular boots?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Having worn all kinds of boots in all kinds of terrain, nothing short of rubber or vinyl will be truly waterproof. You can add mixtures to any full grain leather to make them more resistant. Carry lots of socks and change often. Treat the leather well and try to avoid water as best you can.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Sealskins! :mrgreen:

Waterproof the foot inside the boot!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I was fortunate enough to have the replica Strider boots I got made get lined so thankfully no wetness in them. The mentioned links are good vendors and you want something that can be up kept easily.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I was thinking about this on my walk today - It rained pretty heavily yesterday, and I skirted the edge of a pond, crossed a couple streams, and cut through some heavy cane. All the while wearing simple Armstreet medieval shoes.

Came home with perfectly dry feet.

I think that I get lazy in my modern gortex-lined hiking boots - in my medieval shoes, I just took more care.

I'm not saying a Ranger playing hide-and-seek with orcs in the wildlands be able to take the same care - and for that matter I've been in conditions wet enough to soak my feet even in my high-tech wonderboots.

... but I think for *most* usage the modern degree of waterproofing isn't truly necessary. If anything, it may encourage a bit of sloppiness we should be avoiding anyhow.

As an aside... I'm *really* liking the medieval shoe construction, the more time I spend with them in the woods. At least once they're roughed up enough on the bottom not to be slick, they've got almost all of the "feel the earth" flexibility of a moccasin while actually protecting the soles of your feet from all the little pokes and prods of stone and branch.

(edited for grammar)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

I just tossed my boots.
back in the 70's, they were comfortable, water-resistant and looked periuod.
Today, they shrank so much they pinched my feet and even a cobbler couldn't stretch them enough to wear. So I cut the seams hoping to put laces along the outside but no matter what I did, they still were too tight to wear.

I do have a couple pairs of Minnetonka moccosinc that I converted but still....

So I am hoping to find something at the Combat Con next week that will do.

the number one rule about boots and shoes is COMFORTABLE! you cannot run away form a Russian Tank on blisters. replace that tank with Orc hoard and you'll understand.

Other than that, a few tours in various jungles teaches, change socks often, dry your feet often, dry your boots often, and don;t be surprised when you feet start to stink.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

It you have good boots leather boots....and take care to really work in sno-seal or summit like that.....you will be good.....

Unless you cross a stream or summit.....

If I think I am going to be in that situation...I dig deep into my bag....for "that" bag that contains my "non-period" gear....and pull out a pair of gortex socks and wear them under my wool socks.....

One other thing....I have some tires that have been ground up very, very fine....I mix that with barge cement....and paint on three layers to the sole.....keeps the leather sole basically forever...and is renewable....

Look at the Sodhoppers sole.....just like that....
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Though probably not an ideal thing to do on the go be simple and just take your boots or shoes off with your socks and cross that way, easy enough if your footwear isn't complicated to put on.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.