Tandy Plainsman Boot pattern

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Tandy Plainsman Boot pattern

Post by Kortoso »

I got this pattern a while back, and hadn't looked at using it until just now.

A member of my ranger community remarked that there might be mistakes in Tandy's pattern. If anyone knows, please let me know now before I start cutting leather! :)

Thanks!

There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Tandy Plainsman Boot pattern

Post by Ringulf »

I have made boots for myself from that pattern but it was quite a while ago, I am not sure if there are any problems since they have all been republished. I just got the Apache boot patterns that they call The Plains boot or some such nonsense, because I suppose that even saying the name of a particular tribe is not PC! I plan on using them for the basic patterns and dressing them up Lotro style, with tooled leather plackards on toe and uppers. I also will put a solid flap rather than the fringe around the upper edge. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I have the plans and have been toying with the idea of making a pair for myself. Let us know how things go- keep a photo record of your progress.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Thanks!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I found out that I didn't lose the instruction sheet - there really isn't one!

When I place the cutout of the inner sole onto the "sole" piece, there isn't enough room for the toes.
Attachments
Tandy's idea of how the sole should fit.
Tandy's idea of how the sole should fit.
017sm.jpg (229.53 KiB) Viewed 20757 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

When I compare their size-12 inner sole to a tracing of my size 11 1/2-EE flipper, my ancestry becomes clear immediately. I am the progeny of a lonely hobbit and a lovely Uruk-Hai lady.
Attachments
016sm.jpg
016sm.jpg (247.56 KiB) Viewed 20757 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

So I think I will cut out extra leather to accommodate my large toes.

Suggestions are welcome. :D
Attachments
018sm.jpg
018sm.jpg (236.26 KiB) Viewed 20757 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

So I am going to go ahead and "reboot" this, pun fully intended.

I have a book on moccasins by Sylvia Grainger. It tells of a Penobscot moccasin, which is basically a standard ankle-high moc. I will make this, then proceed to her knee-high variation. This way, it will be customized for my big feet.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have that pattern and several others. They all need modification to make workable footwear. That said, I have the Longhunter series of DVDs where he goes through a pretty detailed making of moccasins, as well as a DVD by a Mohawk making Mohawk mocs...step by step. I got that one from Track of the Wolf, I think.

The methods used in both DVDs are pretty simple and make very comfortable mocs. The former set even go into making shoepacks.

The Longhunter series of DVDs is by Mark Baker, the second one is by Michael Galban 'Constructing Woodland Moccasins'.

Not so hard to convert into high shaft versions, really.

FWIW

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

I have this pattern packet also. Thanks for posting and the responses. Good to know if and when I use this.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I hope it's not too late to chime in on this. These are the boots I use for my ranger kit. When I make my next pair, I won't make the holes as big. I think it calls for 1/8" holes and 1/8" lace to stitch it all up. I'd punch much smaller holes and use artificial sinew to stitch it up. I would also love to figure out a way to put a harder sole on them.

A funny little story. I think it was the maker from Cascade Mnt (? That may be wrong) was at the NC Ren Fest when we went a few years ago. I stepped into his area while he was taping up a customer for a new pair of mocs. As a maker, the first thing about my kit that caught his eye was my own mocs. He told me, "That's a good looking pair of moccasins there!" I said, "Well, yours are much better." He said, "Yeah, but I do this for a living, you don't." After a nice conversation, I walked away with my shoulders squared up a little more and my head swollen a couple of sizes larger. I'll remember that experience for a while I guess.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Eric C wrote:I hope it's not too late to chime in on this. These are the boots I use for my ranger kit. When I make my next pair, I won't make the holes as big. I think it calls for 1/8" holes and 1/8" lace to stitch it all up. I'd punch much smaller holes and use artificial sinew to stitch it up. I would also love to figure out a way to put a harder sole on them.

A funny little story. I think it was the maker from Cascade Mnt (? That may be wrong) was at the NC Ren Fest when we went a few years ago. I stepped into his area while he was taping up a customer for a new pair of mocs. As a maker, the first thing about my kit that caught his eye was my own mocs. He told me, "That's a good looking pair of moccasins there!" I said, "Well, yours are much better." He said, "Yeah, but I do this for a living, you don't." After a nice conversation, I walked away with my shoulders squared up a little more and my head swollen a couple of sizes larger. I'll remember that experience for a while I guess.
That was a decent thing to say- after all, you were, in a sense, advertising for the competition.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

You know Eric, they say about houses, you make your first house for your enemy and your second house for your friend, the third you make for yourself. ;)

Yes, I should have mentioned, the pattern recommends thongs and punched holes, which is silly; good thread or sinew makes a much more functional shoe.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Straelbora wrote:
Eric C wrote:I hope it's not too late to chime in on this. These are the boots I use for my ranger kit. When I make my next pair, I won't make the holes as big. I think it calls for 1/8" holes and 1/8" lace to stitch it all up. I'd punch much smaller holes and use artificial sinew to stitch it up. I would also love to figure out a way to put a harder sole on them.

That was a decent thing to say- after all, you were, in a sense, advertising for the competition.

This is true!
Kortoso wrote:You know Eric, they say about houses, you make your first house for your enemy and your second house for your friend, the third you make for yourself. ;)

Yes, I should have mentioned, the pattern recommends thongs and punched holes, which is silly; good thread or sinew makes a much more functional shoe.
My thoughts exactly. They are very comfortable as long as you don't have to cross rocks. But the overly large stitching material doesn't make for a boot that can be waterproofed in any way.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Susan Baker

Post by Susan Baker »

I hope I am not so late to this thread that my information is useless, as I stumbled across this forum by accident.
For those who want to make their own Ranger shoes and boots, you can't go past "The Make-It-Yourself Shoe Book" by Christine Lewis Clark. It is decades out of print, but I found some copies available on AbeBooks.com. Some of the copies look a bit pricey, but, even so, it is a book worth having if you are serious about making shoes without a last. I have owned my copy since the mid 70s and have never even thought of parting with it.
The book covers everything from supplies and pattern making to complete instructions for shoes, boots and moccasins and variations thereof. And to anyone who does buy themselves this book - do not ignore the instructions for a padded foam insole when you make your shoes. That insole makes for total comfort.
I hope this information is of use to someone.