A Case for Jerkins

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: A Case for Jerkins

Post by Manveruon »

Oh! Interesting...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Manveruon wrote:
Kortoso wrote:I've got a Strider-style jerkin, as others of us have. I stared at the pics on the Alley Cat Scratch site until I was seeing double.
I realized that the thong on one side is simply tied in a overhand stopper knot, and the other thong is pulled through a gap in the knot. Very simple, really.
Interesting... I had always figured they were tied in a simple square knot (that's how I've always done it, in any case). Can you maybe post an example of what you're talking about? I'm having a kind of hard time picturing it.
Here is my original source;
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Jerkin.htm
And a pic.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I've seen the pic before, but I guess I'm still missing what you're saying. Do you mean how they're attached to the jerkin itself, or how they tie together in the middle?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I think I see what's going on here. I see how Kortoso could extrapolate what he did from that photo, but what it looks to me to have happened, was the set-dresser/cosstume person/viggo tied a square knot incorrectly, putting a twist in it that makes it appear to have a stopper knot in the lower portion. When you tie a square knot, without going into too much detail, you basically twist the two working ends one way, and then the opposite way so they wind up parallel. If you do it the same way both times, it turns sideways and ends up like this. Several of the photos on Alleycat scratch actually show the ties done up in a simpler yet more fancy knot that wouldn't necessarily even function in the woods, which tells you they were done by a set-dresser.

I wondered, since in The Two Towers' scene at helms deep when Viggo is gearing up, we actually see him feeding through- and pulling on- tails of the thongs as though he's tying a knot, which kinda went against what you were saying. I'd double-check against the film. Hope this helps a bit. Either way, tying a knot to form a loop-and-toggle isn't a bad idea, necessarily. Hope it works for you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

Here's an image of Will's leather jerkin on the cover of Ranger's Apprentice: Sorceror in the North
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 11840 times
As dead flies cause the perfumer’s oil to stink and bubble, so a little foolishness outweighs wisdom and glory. - Ecc 10:1
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Padded jerkin..seems to me that could be a heavily padded pourpoint. There are also things like padded jacks, lentners, gambesons, aketons, and subarmalis. They are all similar, not precisely the same. If one is wearing maile, one wears something of this sort under it....as we discovered in the dim pre-history of the SCA, when 12 gauge maile was common and those odd maile-rashes were as well. Ouch. If one wants to wear plate armor, gambesons and pourpoints are almost a necessity...since the armor ties to those pieces of gear...generally speaking. Obviously not a sweeping situation, few things ever are.

I have two full sleeve gambesons I use for St. Huberts Rangers..used to be for the SCA...as well as a nice pourpoint, although it is only padded around the hips. One could lace sleeves.

The upshot is, I do not think jerkins, padded or otherwise, are any kind of problem. Things vary across cultures and so far as I know, no culture has ever eschewed nabbing ideas from neighboring cultures...in part or wholesale.

Some fine examples on this thread, aye.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Greg wrote:I think I see what's going on here. I see how Kortoso could extrapolate what he did from that photo, but what it looks to me to have happened, was the set-dresser/cosstume person/viggo tied a square knot incorrectly, putting a twist in it that makes it appear to have a stopper knot in the lower portion. When you tie a square knot, without going into too much detail, you basically twist the two working ends one way, and then the opposite way so they wind up parallel. If you do it the same way both times, it turns sideways and ends up like this. Several of the photos on Alleycat scratch actually show the ties done up in a simpler yet more fancy knot that wouldn't necessarily even function in the woods, which tells you they were done by a set-dresser.

I wondered, since in The Two Towers' scene at helms deep when Viggo is gearing up, we actually see him feeding through- and pulling on- tails of the thongs as though he's tying a knot, which kinda went against what you were saying. I'd double-check against the film. Hope this helps a bit. Either way, tying a knot to form a loop-and-toggle isn't a bad idea, necessarily. Hope it works for you!
Hey, thanks for the feedback, I'll check it out.
You're right in that they are at least two universes: the costumers' and the ME reenactors'.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I love my jerkin, I really feel the most at home in it weather it's my personal one or the replicated Aragorn version I've had made. It's a nice slight bit of protection without being too hindering.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'