Cloak Hood

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Brownno
Dúnadan

Cloak Hood

Post by Brownno »

On my cloak my hood is too big, what should i do to it smaller so I can see out of it?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Cloak Hood

Post by wulfgar »

Without seeing it it's hard to say, but what about laying flat, cutting off some of the top and resewing it.
You can't take the sky from me.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Yeah - hard to say without seeing it - and pin it first of course to trial-and-error how big you want it before actually cutting any material.
Also running a new seam an inch or two in from the back seam should pull the opening back closer to your face:
modded-hood.jpg
modded-hood.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 9854 times
That said, the big dramatic cloak hoods on book covers and in movies aren't so hot for actually using on the move - as you've discovered. :)
Real medieval hoods - especially in later periods - tended to be a bit more fitted.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

This is a picture of my hood. I was thinking of folding the hood back and sewing it together that way. But what are your suggestions that i should do?
Attachments
Sorry for the blurriness
Sorry for the blurriness
IMG_6501.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Brownno, if you flatten that out on the floor, so that the left side lays over the right, does it make a square or rectangle shape? You would see a fold that would run from the top of your head to your forehead, and end at the edge of fabric.

So I would cut the fabric right at that fold and remove about an inch of fabric parallel to that cut, then sew it back up again.

You might want to try that with paper bag material so you get the proportions right.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Okay thanks I am going to fix me hood probably next weekend or the weekend after.