My kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

My kit

Post by wulfgar »

OK, so this is my Iron age Celt kit, but it is also going to be the basis for my middle Earth Woodman kit. I will add a green sleeveless tunic over the long sleeve tunic. i will also have an axe and large knife as a back-up weapon. I have rectagular leg wraps for colder weather of brushy areas. I have done some pretyy heavy physical labor, building the longhouse in this kit, SO I am very comfortable with it's functionality and practicality. It is all wool and completely handsewn with linen thread. The short trousers are made with the marx-etzel pattern which a very interesting and comfortable one piece pattern.
You can't take the sky from me.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: My kit

Post by wulfgar »

http://www.dumnonika.com/trousers.html
The Marx-Etzel pattern. One of the things that I really like about it is that there is no central crotch seam to rip out.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Alright! Cloak, tunic, breeches--exactly what the Professor suggests northern menfolk wear in Letter 211. Thumbs-up for wearing it while engaged in authentic work. That's the way to do it!
I wasn't previously familiar with that pattern, but it makes sense. Looks like an efficient use of fabric and less piecing than Thorsberg-type trousers. Might have to give it a try sometime.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

The hardest part is getting the measurements right, but it's not too bad. I messed up a bit and there is a patch of fabric in the back to extend the flap, but it's not noticeable with a tunic on. I measure a friend and made his pattern and his came out just fine.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

REALLY cool. Liking how it all came together a lo!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

If you go to the homepage and pause the slideshow where the three warriors are, the shirtless man with the round shield appears to be wearing these. Though it is a bit difficult to tell as he appears to be wearing underwear of the same pattern as the pants. Still, it gives us an image of how they looked.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.