Budget Authenticity: Herjolfnes Mashup from Army Blanket

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Budget Authenticity: Herjolfnes Mashup from Army Blanket

Post by caedmon »

Ok, been a long time in the works, But it's time to start showing the beast. It's a mashup of two Herjolfnes patterns, #33 and #63. So far, it has cost me about $12. Assuming the right garage sale and a good deal on linen it should cost less than $20.

It started it's life as a Korean War era army blanket. When I pieced it out, fit the pattern of a Herjolfnes cote I had been working on.

I made the original pattern from an old dress shirt that I traced the correct seams. I then made my first prototype into a 14th c. parti-color cote, which I wasn't to happy with. (I thought I had bought wool, but after two wearings, it started pilling up like a synthetic.)

Anyway, here's the cutting pattern I made, actual photos in a couple days.
hrjolfness-63.png
hrjolfness-63.png (628.93 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Budget Authenticity: Herjolfnes Mashup from Army Blanket

Post by caedmon »

Oh, I do have one picture out there. Here's what it looked like when I needed it for a quick photo shoot. It's only 1/2 finished in this shot.
huberts.jpg
huberts.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Interesting - I assume the two pieces in the bottom right are sleeves? That's a curious design: do you think they were originally created to that pattern, or trimmed to fit the body after the fact?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Yes they are. When I got home I saw several omissions and errors in my cutting pattern, I have updated it in the original picture.

The sleeves are now correctly labeled, some important gussets and a gore were added and I have reflected a multi-part front that I added late in the game. (it allows for better shaping on the chest)

As for how the sleeves were originally drafted... If memory serves, the Herjolfness clothing dates from around 1415 and is seen as being in continuity with Western European fashion from 1370ish to 1430ish. This is also the period where cutting on the square gives way to tailoring. The sleeves are (low) on the grand assiete spectrum. So I think they were probably shaped before-hand.
-Jack Horner

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ah... I like the update. Also keeps the grain consistent - sweet!

My personal theory is a lot of transitional garments WERE cut on the square, then tailored on the body into their final shape. That sleeve inset looks planned from the beginning though. Fascinating!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.