The Kerchief/Shemagh

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

The Kerchief/Shemagh

Post by Harper »

I guess I have problems calling it a "kerchief" but...

Also,

And,

Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: The Kerchief/Shemagh

Post by Kortoso »

I thought that we had another thread where we explored kerchiefs and the like.
But this topic will do.

As you know, I am across the sea now, in a tropic land. Daytime temperatures have been rising to 100F regularly.
I have a cotton Japanese tenugui as a memento of one of my other adventures. I keep it wrapped around my neck to soak up sweat and when I'm really hot, I can soak it in water and wrap it around my neck to cool off. If you've seen The Seven Samurai and some other movies, you've seen how it has a variety of uses.
https://www.tofugu.com/japan/tenugui/

Here's a fun fact: the ancient Romans had a similar item called the focale which served similar purposes.

A Ranger's neck-tie? :P
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

WOW :mrgreen: quite honestly i've never stopped to think of how useful something as simple as a piece of cloth could be. Thankyou for the post Kortoso, I have already added one to my kit :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh... now that I think on it, I'm a little surprised I don't recall seeing kerchiefs in medieval manuscript illustrations - lady's head coverings excepted. They're so handy I'd expect they'd be common, especially amongst field laborers and shepherds and such.

.. now I'm curious what they did when wiping their brow, cleaning dirt from their hands, and so forth. Hunh.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.