Jerkin wip

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Jerkin wip

Post by Eric C »

Anybody care to guess what I'm working on? 8)

Well... yeah, I did kind of give it away in the title.

Anyway, the bad news is that it doesn't look like we will be able to make the Indie ranger moot. We're pretty bummed about that. The good news is that we are working hard to try to get to the South Carolina Moot. Recently I bought Butterick's pattern B4574 which is sort of a pirate or woodsman's outfit. I started thinking about the leather in the closet that we bought a couple of years ago. It is pretty thick. I carefully laid out the pattern on the leather and cut it oversized. It's hard to put the leather back on once it's cut off. I have temporarily stitched the front and back shoulders together on both sides. I will stitch up the whole thing temporarily so I can cut and shape as I go. I am out of contact cement that I usually use for my leatherwork. So I have time to tweak the jerkin.

Better pics to come as I get more done. It's a bit early right now, but as always, your comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Jerkin wip

Post by Elleth »

Oh that look on your lady's face! :mrgreen:

Very cool - I can't wait to see how it comes together!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yeah. That's my daughter. Her ranger name is Ruinferil. She is quite the artist. It was killing her to sit and watch. She was wanting to get her hands into it. Her time is coming :mrgreen:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Got a little more work done on the jerkin tonight and started a new haversack for Ruinferil. Actually she did most of it. It is cut out and waiting for some glue. I thought we had some contact cement, but I guess not. Until I pick some up, these projects are nearly stalled. That won't be long though. Pics coming hopefully tomorrow.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Nice!

The family went to a WWII museum the other day, and I saw on one "British Courier" mannequin the leather jerkin posted previously on one of these threads - I've no doubt they informed Tolkien's mental image: and yours looks so like it! Very cool project. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice, I have to get a new one done up myself this year
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

My leather projects have stalled momentarily while I await the funds for some supplies. We got hit with a surprise repair bill last week, so any funds for supplies were nonexistent. But hopefully updates will soon follow.