Valjuen's Soft Kit (Work-In-Progress) {Pic Heavy} [Originally: Cloaks - Help With Design]

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Valjuen
Wayfarer

Valjuen's Soft Kit (Work-In-Progress) {Pic Heavy} [Originally: Cloaks - Help With Design]

Post by Valjuen »

Hey. This is now going to be the thread that I'll use for posting updates on my clothing projects. But below is what it used to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to make a design for my new cloak. My previous cloak was made of a dark green velvet, and the velvet worked, it blended with the surroundings, which is what we wanted it to do; only problem was it didn't blend with a lot of plants due to the dark green, of which my cousin chose even though I asked if we could do a lighter green.
But a while ago, I wanted to do something more like Lord of the Rings and the covers of the Ranger's Apprentice book series.
In Ranger's Apprentice, Flanagan describes it as a "mottled green and grey cloak".
How would I go about doing that?
I had the idea to get a thicker fabric, either wool or felt, and then tie dye it, giving it the mottled look.

But how should I go about doing that?

Should I dye the grey fabric green or the green fabric grey?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Sincerely, Valjuen - or Valen for short.
Attachments
Original Cloaks (I'm the one with the bow, pretending I have an arrow on it)
Original Cloaks (I'm the one with the bow, pretending I have an arrow on it)
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 6.14.39 pm.png (161.23 KiB) Viewed 17614 times
Last edited by Valjuen on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As dead flies cause the perfumer’s oil to stink and bubble, so a little foolishness outweighs wisdom and glory. - Ecc 10:1
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Re: Cloaks - Help With Design

Post by Valjuen »

By the way, if you want to see the old cloaks in action, here is a terrible short film I made with my cousin and his friend a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmosZNU5Avk

If you want to know why it's so bad, the villain in it wanted to make a movie but also had to go back home in like an hour so I had about two minutes to figure out what was going to happen and find what we would use at the same time.
As dead flies cause the perfumer’s oil to stink and bubble, so a little foolishness outweighs wisdom and glory. - Ecc 10:1
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Great!

First, for your next one, you'll almost certainly want wool. Nothing will really do as well once you're out in the weather.

Wool can be expensive, but thankfully there's a great comparatively inexpensive source for wool - old army blankets! You can get wool blankets in a number of weights for warmer or cooler weather - but I'd try to get as pure wool as possible on principle alone. They even already come in nice subdued natural colors. :)

Caedmon has a great thread with a pattern for piecing a cloak together out of a military blanket:

http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... =25&t=1632

Andy's watch cloak is another great place to start:
http://www.middleearthrangers.org/wiki/ ... atch_CLoak

and Greg's modified half circle:
http://www.middleearthrangers.org/wiki/ ... king_cloak

A couple thoughts on design - as you wear it more, you'll probably find you want less length, a less capacious hood, possibly a slightly fuller body, and a bit more material at the throat to lessen the choking effect.

For colors, mossy grey greens blend better in more seasons than deep emerald greens.
If you dye it, know that natural wool takes dye very well. I honestly don't know how well a synthetic blend will work, but I expect decently enough.

Uthgard has hand-dyed some of his stuff, and just by smushing the fabric into the bucket has a nice gentle mottling without the characteristic "hippy" look of tye die:
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... =25&t=3078
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

Thank you so much, Elleth. I just bought an army used green wool blanket from 1983 on eBay.

I'm definitely going to do the dying techniques Urthgard has done, but a little different seeing as my blanket is green instead of peach.

But thanks again

Sincerely, Valen
RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Post by RikJohnson39 »

Original post moved to "SOFT KIT" under "My New Wool Cloak"

The best idea that I can suggest is to work on making the cloak comfortable first, then work on making it look Period.

The first cloak I made was from scrap cloth (polyester) that I made to learn how to make the thing. Once I solved the problems, I gave the poly-cloak to my daughter and proceeded to make a better, cotton then wool cloak.
I used polyester as it was handy, cheap and I never intended it to be worn as my Outfit, I made it to learn what a cloak was and how to make one and I made my mistakes on that one so my next one would work.

Good luck and it's great that you are working on improving your Kit.
Last edited by RikJohnson39 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Another style of "cloak" (that I personally use) is an rectangle of cloth (preferably wool) gathered and pinned at the shoulder with a large pin. It can be worn with or without a seperate hood.

Kortoso made and posted a video on one way to drape and pin a cloak of that style.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Thanks for the props.

If we are still looking at designs, the one that I use is a Moroccan burnoose, the pattern from Folkwear.
http://www.folkwear.com/132.html
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Post by RikJohnson39 »

When it comes to dying cloth, dye light color first. then tie knots and dye a slightly darker color. The knots will protect the light color from darkening.
It is easy to make a light green dark but impossible to make a dark green light.

Maybe you can 'paint' branches and such with a paintbrush dipped in dye? I don't know if that will work but is worth a try on some scrap cloth.

Test your plan on scrap before you do the actual cloak.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

UPDATE

Okay, the cloak has been sewn. I haven't dyed it yet, not entirely sure if I will, to be honest. I'll see how it goes stealth-wise in the woods, whether or not it blends, then I will decide. I'll post a photo later when there's a bit more sun.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Awesome!

What pattern did you end up using?
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

I ended up using similar to the original, but the hood is very different - tighter, doesn't look like a wizard hat, etc.

The only problem I have with it is a mistake I made - I accidentally cut too much off the side, forcing me to have to pull the sides tightly across so they can cover me. Other than that, it's fine.

Though I haven't tested it out in the woods yet.
Attachments
IMG_7882.jpg
IMG_7882.jpg (18.21 KiB) Viewed 17489 times
IMG_7885.jpg
IMG_7885.jpg (41.67 KiB) Viewed 17489 times
IMG_7884.jpg
IMG_7884.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 17489 times
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Valjuen's Soft Kit (Work-In-Progress) [Originally: Cloaks - Help With Design]

Post by Greg »

Cool clasp! Nice fabric...texture fits in well.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Re: Valjuen's Soft Kit (Work-In-Progress) [Originally: Cloaks - Help With Design]

Post by Valjuen »

Thanks!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Valjuen's Soft Kit (Work-In-Progress) {Pic Heavy} [Originally: Cloaks - Help With Design]

Post by Elleth »

That looks great - I like the tighter hood!