Looking for some world / aesthetic advice on this piece...

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Looking for some world / aesthetic advice on this piece...

Post by Elleth »

So I had some scrap goatskin, and pieced it together for a coinpurse:
merf-coin-purse-construction.jpg
merf-coin-purse-construction.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
The top is going to fold over into a band to provide a place for me to cut some eyelets to add a drawstring.
The thing I wonder though - should I decorate the edge with a bit of pinking? This is what the edge would look like if I did:
merf-coin-purse-edging.jpg
merf-coin-purse-edging.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
On the one hand, it dresses it up a bit nicely. On the other, it might be pushing things a bit too late-period in feel.
What do you all think? Which looks and fits best?

( Culture is meant to be late Third Age Dunedain)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Looking for some world / aesthetic advice on this piece...

Post by caedmon »

I know it's garment leather so tooling's out, but what about pinking and some inked or incised decoration?

The inverse pinking might go well with a Numenorean border.

pouch.png
pouch.png (168.1 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

WOW!

That INSTANTLY snaps it into the world - great idea, thank you!

Hunh... the leather has a fair amount of oil in it: I wonder how ink would take? It's also a little thin for incision - perhaps have a small pyrography brand made?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

My only suggestion was to go with the 'inverse' (middle) over the scalloped pinking (right)...the latter does seem much too late-medieval to my eyes. But a border like jack envisioned would be incredible! I think it's key to remember that real-world cultures throughout history have decorated even their utilitarian 'hard kit' items, and ME cultures are no different. I'm more than a little jealous that you Numenor-descended folks have cultural motifs to extrapolate from!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

caedmon wrote:I know it's garment leather so tooling's out, but what about pinking and some inked or incised decoration?

The inverse pinking might go well with a Numenorean border.

pouch.png
Maybe try the pyrography or inking for laying out the design and then use an exacto knife and cut out the lighter areas of the pattern. You could then stitch in some colorful cloth on the other side to make it stand out better.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

You could pink the hell out of it, then use a hole punch using the pinking as a guide, maybe different size punches.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.