My new wool cloak

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

My new wool cloak

Post by RikJohnson39 »

Moved from "Cloaks- help with design"

A few years ago I was at the Swap Meet and saw, in a corner of a booth, some cloth bolts that looked interesting. I asked if I could see them and they felt like heavy wool.
The seller said that they were a wool-blend that she had bought back in 1970 or 1972w and had kept them for 40 years hoping to use them but....
I asked "how Much?" knowing that they were out of my range and when she said "How about $2 a bolt?" I went crazy, mentally.
That stuff runs for $50 and up at Joann's Fabric per yard. I took all three bolts and she threw in a bag of remenants!

The saffron wool I made into a kilt.
Last Saturday I made the heavy brown wool into a cloak as I am going to Dragonfest in a couple weeks and Colorado gets cold.
The cloak is done (had to redo the shoulder parts as I think my shoulders are broader than they really are. but this week I will trim the edges and make a hood.
The thing is heavy but warm and is dark brown with black threads and more what a Ranger would wear as it blends in and makes a fine blanket.. Pics when done but here is the last summer cloak I made which is the same design as the newer one.

It theme here is to keep your eyes open and the Gods will often provide some really great deals.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!
RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Re: My new wool cloak

Post by RikJohnson39 »

I finished the wool cloak last night and had a friend come over to take some pics.
It was dark and she wasn't much of a photographer but these will do.

This is the half-cloak on the floor.
The cloth is a heavy (read warm) wool blend that is mostly wool. I made it as a floor-length half-circle only because I ran out of cloth. I DO have enough of the brown left to make a kilt!
I used scraps reversed to trim the edges as the plain brown of the reverse goes well with the brown/black outside.
I also added ties though I will be using my cloak-pin under normal conditions.

Me wearing the cloak. Mundane clothes as it was really late and I didn't have time to dress up.
After I fixed the shoulders, made them narrower, the cloak hangs perfectly. I can drop the hood and undo the ties and it remains in place even if I move fast. It's the shoulder curve that is the secret.

I am thinking of lining it with some dark green light-cotton but am not certain of how to do that yet.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!