WAXED GARMENTS

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

WAXED GARMENTS

Post by Feredir (hunter) »

Hi guys! So for Ranging out here in the northwest i dont wear pants, i wear a great kilt out of 100% wool, this works for me and is not changing, but awhile back a buddy of mine from search and rescue gave me his waxed canvas pants to use, it got me thinking, waxed garments would be really effective for ranging and going through anything, i dont think this idea would be to far fetched for middle earth Rangers, some waxed pants over some wool ones with a wool tunic over it all would be really comfy in the coldest winters and you dont get wet (unless you sweat which in that case take of the wool pants) anyways just thought I'd share this cheap idea with you!
Cheers!!!
I drink coffee and I pretend to know what I am doing...
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: WAXED GARMENTS

Post by Greg »

Honestly, waxed pants sound more likely to cause sweating than wool ones. Warmth isn't the only thing to consider when thinking about reducing sweat, etc. Wool may be a warm fabric, but it also breathes. I wore heavy wool pants on the Indiana outing some three weeks ago, and didn't have sweating issues below the waist...only where my gear pressed up against my back.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: WAXED GARMENTS

Post by wulfgar »

I used to have a Filson waxed hat,,that was the most uncomfortable thing ever. It did not breath, and condensation would build up on the inside.
You can't take the sky from me.