slick soles

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

slick soles

Post by Elleth »

To those with traditional boots - do you have any tricks for dealing with the slick soles? Most of the time I'm just fine, but I took a terrible long time trying to get down a pine needle covered hillside today - that slope was crazy slick in leather-soled mocs.

After looking at several off the shelf options - either as is or as a basis for mods - I think I'm going to take the plunge and try sewing my own set of boots over the winter. After today I'm wondering if I should figure out how to do hobnails or something. What do y'all do?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: slick soles

Post by Manveruon »

I feel like hobnails would probably be your best *period* solution, but they sure would cause havoc on a hardwood floor, and I imagine they're probably not much fun on pavement.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

Elleth wrote:To those with traditional boots - do you have any tricks for dealing with the slick soles? Most of the time I'm just fine, but I took a terrible long time trying to get down a pine needle covered hillside today - that slope was crazy slick in leather-soled mocs.

After looking at several off the shelf options - either as is or as a basis for mods - I think I'm going to take the plunge and try sewing my own set of boots over the winter. After today I'm wondering if I should figure out how to do hobnails or something. What do y'all do?
I find hard soles shoes & boots make walking difficult in the woods. I have worn moccasins for many years now, but on occasion I have worn a pair of 18th century shoes & I have worn riding boots. Pretty much anything will slip on mud. Moccasins give better grip on grass when wet, & I will sometimes wet the soles of my moccasins if I have to traverse a grassy slope. Personally I would never go back to wearing hard soled footwear, & hobnailed soles are no better. I recommend moccasins with an extra sole. They are quieter in the woods than boots & you can feel the ground beneath your feet. They are better for running & climbing.
Keith.

Here are some links to my blog that may be of interest: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.a ... shoes.html
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.a ... asins.html
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.a ... ns-on.html
Making Moccasins: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.a ... -seam.html
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.a ... -sole.html
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thanks all!

Reading up a bit on hobnails, it seems the Civil War reenactors say they don't help as much as I had thought. So I suppose I'll leave them out.

I'm cutting apart a set of Armstreet medieval shoes for the pattern this winter - they're about halfway in between a moccasin and a colonial shoe, with a single thickness of fairly heavy leather for a sole with a very lightweight leather liner inside - I expect that's about the thickness of your double-soled mocs LeLoup. (that odd iron last you're using in your cobbling post is fascinating - do you know how old it is?)

So much to do! :)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Good question!

One thing that I have heard from leathercraft folk, is that much of the leather we buy for shoe soles is prepared for making saddles. The leather may actually have a coating of WAX on it!
That would - at least partially - explain the slip-n-slide action.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Elleth wrote:Thanks all!

Reading up a bit on hobnails, it seems the Civil War reenactors say they don't help as much as I had thought. So I suppose I'll leave them out.

I'm cutting apart a set of Armstreet medieval shoes for the pattern this winter - they're about halfway in between a moccasin and a colonial shoe, with a single thickness of fairly heavy leather for a sole with a very lightweight leather liner inside - I expect that's about the thickness of your double-soled mocs LeLoup. (that odd iron last you're using in your cobbling post is fascinating - do you know how old it is?)

So much to do! :)
Difficult to say Elleth, I suspect early 20th century. My Father did his own shoe repairs & had one just like it.
Keith.
Robert Frost.

Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Elleth, one possible solution I have heard of folks doing is to wrap a length of rope about their moc, so that it goes under the arch and possibly under the ball/toes. This helps provide traction while being able to be removed/replaced easily (compared to adding on a new sole). You might even tar the rope and roll it in something 'grabby' (sand?) for extra friction.
Fun (but traction-related) fact: traditional skis use horseskin to let skiers walk up snowy slopes--the hairs point backwards to give grip--but then slide downhill. (Saw a piece in NationalGeo. magazine on it a while back--Dec '13 issue?)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Udwin wrote:Elleth, one possible solution I have heard of folks doing is to wrap a length of rope about their moc, so that it goes under the arch and possibly under the ball/toes. This helps provide traction while being able to be removed/replaced easily (compared to adding on a new sole). You might even tar the rope and roll it in something 'grabby' (sand?) for extra friction.
Fun (but traction-related) fact: traditional skis use horseskin to let skiers walk up snowy slopes--the hairs point backwards to give grip--but then slide downhill. (Saw a piece in NationalGeo. magazine on it a while back--Dec '13 issue?)
Good post Udwin, I had forgotten all about the use of cordage wrapped around the footwear. Interesting about the skis too. Thanks for sharing.
Keith.
Robert Frost.

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Adding a short stack (say, two additional layers?) of leather at the rear of the foot to create a subtle heel makes a world of a difference. Haven't done that on my current shoes, but heels DO really help.

The other option in my book is repetition. Practice. Dig the inside of your foot, from the ball forward, in at an angle (like walking pigeon-toed a bit) against the slope. Not foolproof.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

what about a layer of felt?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - all good ideas. I think I'll start by tacking a heel on my Armstreet shoes before I cut them apart and see how it feels.
Then try that cordage trick - neat! And less bother than carrying crampons in July. :)
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Also.....SLOW DOWN!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.