New Line Strider Build

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: New Line Strider Build

Post by Elleth »

this is what I'm getting from the drawing of the knot on alleycat (which I think was drawn by someone looking at the original?)
aragorn-jerkin-knot.jpg
aragorn-jerkin-knot.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 9823 times
I THINK looking at that picture that the cord is either sewn TO or comes out a hole THROUGH the jerkin, is knotted on itself (and then perhaps tacked down with needle and thread) - then the tail lies free to tie the jerkin shut.

That's just a guess looking at the picture though - no idea if it's what they really did.
(If this is right, then I think 7 should tuck OVER 5 prior to going through the garment. But I'm not certain that's what they did)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Alright, I'm pretty sure I've got it.

I'm going to use a brightly colored climbing accessory cord so I can show you more clearly. Elleth was on the right track, but that guide doesn't quite form a functional knot...a few specifics in the over-under sequence have to be addressed. Problem is, that drawing someone else made wasn't entirely accurate to begin with...it results in there being 1 tuck missing, and the knot won't hold when pulled towards center in the way intended here.

What we have is a variant on the anchor bend that has been opened up and (I believe) stitched in place to form that decorative '8'. I also believe that the tail end may pass through the jerkin to a stopper knot on the backside, but this would create discomfort and bulbous points behind the knots, which would show as gaps between the jerkin and tunic underneath in those pics you posted, which we don't see. SO, I believe the tail butts up against the jerkin, and is discretely stitched in place.

As for the knot, I'm working off this one:

That loop (or 'bight') in the center, running horizontally, is what it's all based around, so we'll start by forming one of those.

Follow the looping pattern here, and then snug it all down...not tight, but snug so it looks as shown.

Now, if you look at the lower portion, you'll see these two wraps. Take your thumbs and pull them apart from each other, and your knot will take on this figure-8 appearance. Take a few moments to 'dress' the knot, taking out excess slack and generally making it pretty. In the last photo, you'll see what you'll need to cut off. Run stitching through all four 'corners' (meaning top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right) of the figure eight as well as both tails to hold it all together firmly (and to keep it from collapsing out of the fig-8 shape) and stitch the knot down on the jerkin. Your thread will run vertically through the knot, top to bottom as seen in fig 7, and can come out the back to attach to the leather. You'll have to tie a second batch of these in a mirror image so that the tail that comes out the side (rather than the back) is on the correct side for the other half of the jerkin.

Hope that's helpful.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Guys, this is stellar work. Well done, all!
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

agreed! Thanks so much to everyone! I will give this a try and see how it works. It definitely looks promising!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I think I accidentally put the "cutoff" lines in the last photo on the wrong side. One of the tails comes out at an odd angle, while the other comes out straight; use your best judgment.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ah, okay, I actually wondered about that, heh. I've given it a try a couple of different ways, but I can't seem to get it to lay quite like I want it. Still, this is looking much closer than when I started, so I feel we're making progress. Thanks!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Not to be an ass but, try ironing it once in place. It should give you that same flattened look.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, y'know actually that's really not a bad idea...