New Line Strider Build

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Re: New Line Strider Build

Post by Harper »

-
Panther Primitives has an oilskin cloak "on sale" for $108. It's still cheaper than the $25/yd they charge. Maybe you can modify it. They also offer a detachable hood.

http://www.pantherprimitives.com/catalo ... masWeb.pdf

As far as the Elvish Cloak consider this Alpaca/Merino throw in Silver Gray:

http://www.alpaca4less.com/superfine-al ... ueen-size/

Alpaca looks like regular sheep's wool but is much warmer and lighter---and it is as soft as cashmere. I have this same blanket in brown and use it for the Fall and Spring (as a blamket). People all over South America use Alpaca wool to make clothing.

This site usually has a big Thanksgiving sale that offers a 30% discount.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Absolutely can't wait to see this develop more! Right up my alley. Please share as much as you can, as I'm very interested in some of the specifics of the pieces (as I'm sure others are, as well). Godspeed!
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Greg wrote:Find good footage of his cloak in the Extras/Appendices; those haven't been color-corrected (for the most part, that I'm aware of).
There was a public exhibition of the costumes at some point; the pics (with normal lighting & processing) are on the Alley Cat Scratch site.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh yeah, trust me, I've been making heavy use of the content over on Alleycatscratch since around 2003, haha. It's one of my favorite old haunts - I just wish there weren't so many dead links around there these days. Also, since most of their stuff was uploaded over a decade ago, a lot of the pictures are disappointingly lo-res compared to stuff that's being shared for current films. But between that and an obsessive search for screencaps online, I think I've got PLENTY of reference material for most everything - except that darned cloak. I will definitely be looking into the Appendices next (haven't watched them in far too long anyway, to be honest).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Once upon a time I had PSDs copied from those appendices for all the characters' costumes, set dressing, and other stuff. I think that hard drive is long dead though. :/

... I'll look about for it tonight to make certain, but no promises.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Manveruon wrote:Here's a pretty good close-up of the red shirt material.
I'm so sorry I didn't think to mention this before, but during the height of the films, they put out a set of collectible cards, some of which contained bits of fabric from the actual film costumes. If you are ever desperate to get a close copy, you might be able to get your hands on an actual swatch from the film for about $15. I know there must be places that will find matches for your fabric.

Obviously, that's the nuclear option, if you were obsessive. Thought I'd share in case anyone finds it useful, though. As an Ithilien ranger, I'm weirdly attracted to the idea of having a little piece of Faramir's cloak.
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Just for fun:

Aragorn:

Mid 17th century (Cavalier/3 Musketeers) outfit:
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's kinda creepy.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Just wanted to pop back into this thread to let people know that I have actually been making quite a bit of progress on this costume, and I'm hoping to post some pictures of what I've gotten done very soon!

Also, there were a lot of wonderful responses to the initial post that I now realize I neglected to read thoroughly and respond to, so I will try to do that soon as well.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

cool!

I saw those bracers you were working on - has the skin grown back on your fingers yet after all that sewing? :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha... OH YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, I'm almost done with the jerkin, but I need some opinions before I add the front ties. What exactly do you all thing is going on here? I can't figure out what sort of knot this is, or even how exactly the ties are attached to the garment itself. Is there one hole in the jerkin with a knot on each side to hold the tie in place? That's what I did on my old one, but it never really looked right, and the knots always looked too small. Perhaps there are two holes with the tie passed through both and only knotted on the outside? If so, where is the other end of the braided cord? I'm just lost. Any ideas?

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

those look like flattened square knots and it looks like there's a length of cord behind the leather that's knotted to the ones in front.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

How do you mean?
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

well, because it's flat braided cord (at least that's what it looks like, I could be wrong) when you make a square knot, it will lay flat. the other cord seems to be passed through the two eyelets and knotted into a loop on either side that the second cord passes through and then is tied to. I might be wrong, but that's what it's looking like to me. I'll try my google-fu and see if I can't find an actual diagram of it being tied. I think that's the one that Viggo put on after the one the costume department had broke, but I might be thinking of another tie somewhere else.

EDIT: went and looked at alleycatscratch and they have a drawing of it, seems it's a production drawing that shows it's not a square knot, it's some sort of hitch knot that I'm unfamiliar with, since there are several regional variations of knots. it might be something that's new zealand specific. I'll post the link to the whole article. https://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hu ... Jerkin.htm after looking at all the images here, I discovered I was in fact incorrect and it's round cord that's braided. and seems to be one whole cord that's looped and knotted to itself.