30% Off Alpaca Wool Blankets--11/25/16

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

30% Off Alpaca Wool Blankets--11/25/16

Post by Harper »

http://www.alpaca4less.com/

If you are in need of a good wool blanket, consider Alpaca. It is lighter and yet warmer than sheep's wool. These blankets are a blend of Alpaca and Merino wool. They are soft as cashmere and very warm. Some people say that they are five times warmer than a sheeps wool blanket of similar thickness. I don't know about that, but in my opinion, Alpaca is definitely warmer.

There are two basic types: the Military Banderitas and the lighter, throw type (which has more Alpaca content).

The Banderitas are for buschcraft--they are extremely warm. They do shed for the first couple months. Putting them in the dryer on a NO HEAT cycle helps. I have had mine since last winter. It barely sheds at all now. I recommend Queen size for the field.

The lighter ones are also very warm for their thickness. They would make excellent Elven Cloaks.

I have blankets from a number of well known mills--including a Hudson Bay Company blanket. I think that these Alpacas are superior to them. I have both types and use them most every night (except in the summer). Many people up here in the US don't know about Alpaca yet, so they are only a fraction of the price of the more well known brands. This is the best deal of the year offered by this company. The sale is listed as through midnight 11/26/16, but they have extended sales in the past.
Last edited by Harper on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worldwalker
Wayfarer

Re: 30% Off Alpaca Wool Blankets--11/25/16

Post by Worldwalker »

My parents took a trip to Ecuador and brought back an alpaca wool blanket that they gave to my wife for christmas a few years ago. It has been her favorite blanket ever since.

It has always surprised my how soft alpaca is compared to sheep's wool. If you don't like the itchiness of standard wool, alpaca might just be the way to go.
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three,
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree.