A Quandary Over Buckles

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: A Quandary Over Buckles

Post by Elleth »

Ah Taurinor - thanks for finding those! Now I don't have to feel the least bit guilty about it. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Wow, guys. I didn't expect such a response! Fantastic! A lot to consider on what might be seen as a small detail overall, but it's the type of thing that spends a lot of time rattling around in my head. As soon as the holiday season is passed, I'll be finishing up the quiver and belt, so I'll be ordering a few buckles soon. Cheers!
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Small details can make or brake your appearance.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Elleth wrote:Woo! I got permission to post these. Here's the buckles I made this fall for a project trade -

merf-buckle-dunedain-02-finished.jpg

My "in world" conceit is that they're re-purposed from an old cavalry harness. They're fit for about a 1" -1.25" strap.

The aesthetic was loosely based off WETA's work - both the Strider buckle and the vague "Tree" shape of Gondorian buckles:
(mine on the left, of course)
merf-buckle-dunedain-00-design.jpg

Carving the original master was a surprisingly minor part of the project: even once you get from wax to bronze, there's a lot of cleanup to do:
merf-buckle-dunedain-01-raw.jpg

Sometime later this spring I'll turn out a few of these for my own use I think.. then on to other projects. Onward! :)

Looks fantastic Elleth!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Woof!

Today I'm off work for Christmas, and finally sat down with Illustrator to work out some templates for my next round of buckles - some of these MAY get as far as finished in 3D and directly uploaded to shapeways for printing in steel, but probably I'll end up just ordering a bunch of plastic masters from which I can cast wax copies, and from those copies casting bronze.

(Manv, I think you'll get a kick out of the set on the right. ) :)

If I'm lucky I can figure out a 3D application well enough to get the bevels and suchlike straight from Shapeways: if not I'll just order them as flat objects and carve my wax copies to shape.
We'll see (if anyone's got that skill, I'd really appreciate the help!)

Onward!
bvectors.png
bvectors.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 15847 times
PS - thanks so much Mirimaran!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Manveruon's not the only one...I still haven't found a buckle I'm pleased with for my new sword belt that'll be made after my new scabbard that'll be made after my latest project that's on the heels of...

...oh, nevermind.

Regardless, that's lovely. If it makes it to shapeways, I will require that information.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Elleth wrote:Woof!

Today I'm off work for Christmas, and finally sat down with Illustrator to work out some templates for my next round of buckles - some of these MAY get as far as finished in 3D and directly uploaded to shapeways for printing in steel, but probably I'll end up just ordering a bunch of plastic masters from which I can cast wax copies, and from those copies casting bronze.

(Manv, I think you'll get a kick out of the set on the right. ) :)

If I'm lucky I can figure out a 3D application well enough to get the bevels and suchlike straight from Shapeways: if not I'll just order them as flat objects and carve my wax copies to shape.
We'll see (if anyone's got that skill, I'd really appreciate the help!)

Onward!

bvectors.png

PS - thanks so much Mirimaran!
I wonder if it would be fruitful to send these to Raymond's Quiet Press to see if he'd be up to the challenge.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

My buckles are from Crafty Celts, I am sure they could help.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen!

I fear I may have caused some confusion: it's less a jeweler's hand I need than "smart teenager with simple 3D modeling experience."
I may have a person lined up - we'll see. I know the job is simple, but I may not be able to afford the time of a real professional to do it. If not, well.. maybe I have to figure it out myownself. :)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I have... SOOOOOOO MANY things to say about this thread, but soooooo little time to do that just now, so I'll have to come back and give a proper response in the near future, but for now I wanted to share this. I drew it up last night - it should be a reasonably accurate scale illustration of Strider's buckle from the PJ films, and perhaps it will help anyone who may want to make a replica. The bar should measure exactly 1.5 inches across, and the buckle itself should easily accommodate a 1 3/4 inch strap, if notched.
StriderBuckleDrawing.jpg
StriderBuckleDrawing.jpg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 15801 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Soooo... I'm just gonna put this here...

http://www.shapeways.com/product/SVTAXH ... arketplace

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh excellent! Someone (of course) already made one! It wasn't there the last time I looked, but I'm glad it's there now. Means I don't have to do it. :)
(I think the original is a somewhat more complex shape, but that one should more than pass muster )
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Pretty! :)

Ken
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

He literally just uploaded this to Shapeways today, in response to my inquiry on the Replica Prop Forum Facebook group. I highly recommend checking out his other listings, too. He has some very nice LotR and Hobbit pieces listed, and more to come. He has also stated he is interested in making more buckle replicas from the films.

There are some discrepancies in design from what I can see of the screen-used buckle (I'm not a fan of the square-ish, elongated front he put on it, for example), but overall, as you said, it should pass muster.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Manveruon wrote:There are some discrepancies in design from what I can see of the screen-used buckle (I'm not a fan of the square-ish, elongated front he put on it, for example), but overall, as you said, it should pass muster.
That's what a bench vise and files are for! Once one has tools and know-how to use them, anything is customizable!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA