Middle Earth Surcote, Ver. 2.0

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Re: Middle Earth Surcote, Ver. 2.0

Post by Elendur Amloth »

All these look great! I think I am going to adapt mine to the slit styles since I have horses and will be using them. Great work, Greg and Elleth!
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Turned out very nice, El. I’m working up a dye bath for an all-linen spring-summer version myself...seeing as it’s more of a cultural garment, I want it to be a part of the impression year-round (which will, again, aid eliminating mis-identifying my impression). Looking forward to seeing more!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Good work, I have to agree that this is the best pattern for a surcoat, I find having a single panel for the front gets in the way when walking up hill.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Second time out in mine today: lots of underbrush, clambering over creeks, and whatnot.

I continue to be agog that this pattern just doesn't get in the way. I was really expecting that it would be at some level one of those "sacrifice a bit of practicality to the archetypal image" thing... and it's just not.

... lots of little burs to pick out of the wool though!

Now I'm looking forward to a misty rainy weekend to get out in: wet thighs are always the real test. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

History wins. The Ithilien film surcotes aren’t based on a historical pattern, and come loaded with problems. Figures!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.