New Hood

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

New Hood

Post by jbook »

I am by no means a tailor, so it was with a great sense of dread that i decided to make a hood. I started with just looking at period images mostly from the Maciejowski Bible. Then I looked at a few patterns online and simply eyeballed it and traced out the basic shape.

Imagehttps://postimage.org/

After that I cut it out and went to sewing. Mine is unlined which I prefer. These things are incredibly warm!

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: New Hood

Post by Manveruon »

Turned out great!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

jbook wrote:I am by no means a tailor...
Now you are! :P
Looks great!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Well done! It's amazing how much warmer you can feel just by adding a hood, even if you're wearing it around your shoulders. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since it's pretty much a scarf at that point, but it makes quite a difference!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I'm a big fan of hoods. They're probably my favorite Middle-Ages garment, hands down, and I wish they'd make a comeback, haha. It's odd to me that such a practical piece of clothing would be so completely abandoned over time.
And for that matter, I wish more fantasy films and shows would incorporate them. The whole long-flowing-hooded-cloak thing is a little played out at this point, and moreover, it's not really a concept supported by medieval history.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh it looks sharp!

And yes - it is rather a pity they're no longer the fashion, comfy as they are.
Still not giving up my fantasy cloak though darn it! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Taurinor wrote:Well done! It's amazing how much warmer you can feel just by adding a hood, even if you're wearing it around your shoulders. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since it's pretty much a scarf at that point, but it makes quite a difference!
Indeed. We were shooting at the butts this past Sunday, and I was the only one without a runny nose. You can guess why.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

Yes, I do wish they would make a comeback. Hoods are simply one of the most handy garments ever made.