boot recommendations

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

boot recommendations

Post by Elwindil »

I'm looking for some good boots with a stout, non leather sole as I will be wearing them daily for quite some time to break them in and may need to use them on things like ice and snow. Any good suggestions that won't break the bank? I'm looking to spend maybe around 200-250 in the next few months on it.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: boot recommendations

Post by Taurinor »

I have a pair by Boots by Bohemond that I quite like. His boots have leather soles, but he offers a non-slip sole (I think it's something like a layer of rubber) on most of his products.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

And I have a pair from Viking Leathercrafts that is pretty stellar. They offer a non-slip rubber sole, like what Taurinor mentioned, but they also offer a full lugged vibram sole. They have held up to a fair deal of wear of the last couple years.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I've looked at both sites, and at renboots. All three places have the type of boots that I want (high boots) but at wildly different price points. I'm trying to avoid cheaping out on footwear, as cheap shoes/boots only lead to blisters and sore feet at the end of the day. Learned that one the hard way in the Army.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

A good pair of insoles may help with that, regardless of which vendor you go with.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

that's quite true, Taurinor. since both of you fine fellows have boots from those sites, how true to your standard shoe size are they?
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Mine seem to fit pretty true to size. If I had to say they erred one way or the other, I'd say they erred a touch on the large side (which might be a benefit if you plan to use insoles). They may just seem to be a touch big because the style I ordered have pointed toes, so they feel a little different than a modern shoe with a rounded tip.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Mine seemed roughly accurate.

Also, for mine, I bought low boots then added taller uppers myself. This has advantages and disadvantages, but I was pleased with the results.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

good to know. I'm looking at the 14th century thigh high buckled boots from vikingleathercrafts and the cavalier renaissance boots from bohemond. just need to decide which fits better for what I'm doing.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

In regards to the cavalier boots, you may want to measure your calf and contact Bohemond to make sure the shaft will fit comfortably. The Viking Leathercraft boot looks fairly adjustable, but if you have large calves you may run into trouble with the bucket boot style (speaking from personal experience with a different pair of high boots).
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

thanks for that heads up, Taurinor. much appreciated, it wasn't something that I'd actually considered doing, having never really worn boots like that.