Braies solved!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Braies solved!

Post by Kortoso »

The exact pattern, making and wearing of medieval braies has been a matter of discussion and experimentation among medieval reenactors. I've long suspected that braies were made and worn in a manner similar to loincloths. Here's a demonstration that is, I think, pretty convincing:
https://hibernaatio.blogspot.fi/2014/04 ... tteen.html
A couple of representative images:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Braies solved!

Post by Greg »

Interesting. Very simple in construction! Kinda depends on what period braies you're referring to, though, because braies-under-chausses are pretty different from later-period more "brief" fitted braies-with-doublets, etc.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Yeah, I saw that a while back and thought the "unrolled" version looked very much like the braies depicted in the 13th century Maciejowski Bible -
braies comparison.jpg
braies comparison.jpg (121.31 KiB) Viewed 10945 times
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh... so are they just a big square of fabric wrapped and folded? And it's stable all day?

Fascinating!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Absolutely fascinating indeed. Still, part of me just has to wonder how all of that gathered and rolled fabric could have possibly been comfortable shoved down into hosen, and bunched up around the groin. I think I would prefer the "medieval boxer-shorts" approach myself, but I've seen the Maciejowski Illustration Taurinor posted before, and it certainly does look an awful lot like the method depicted here. There must be something to it, if this configuration was really worn "back in the day," but to my mind it just seems convoluted and uncomfortable.
Last edited by Manveruon on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I lean towards the horizontal tube seen in the Medieval Tailor's Assistant.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Manveruon wrote:Absolutely fascinating indeed. Still, part of me just has to wonder how all of that gathered and rolled fabric could have possibly been comfortable shoved down into hosen, and bunched up around the groin. I think I would prefer the "medieval boxer-shorts" approach myself, but I've seen the Maciejowski Illustration Taurinor posted before, and it certainly does look an awful lot like the method depicted here. There must be something to it, if this configuration was really worn "back in the day," but to my mind it just seems convoluted and uncomfortable.
Do you think blue jeans are more comfortable? :P
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.