Clothing updates

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Clothing updates

Post by Manveruon »

Iodo wrote:Amazing kit Ursus, great boots.
I notice you have your bow in the photographs, are the gauntlet cuffs tight enough to replace an archery bracer?
That's a good question, because that would certainly make the gauntlets' function even more practical.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I couldn't say really. I almost never shoot with a bracer. The way in which I grip my bow means that I almost neverhave to worry about getting slapped by the string. I wouldn't say the cuffs are thick enough for such a use though. I imagine a thicker piece of leather could be stitched on for such a purpose.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I imagine a thicker piece of leather could be stitched on for such a purpose.
Something to think about for a future project maybe
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I know the feeling.
I've NEVER had to worry about wearing a bracer.
... except for those times I should have.

(ow ow ow ow ow :mrgreen: )

Actually, curious what you guys do for finger tabs on the go. I tend to only use them if I'll be shooting more than a dozen or so arrows in a fairly short period of time, but don't bother for stump shooting when I'm walking/scouting more than shooting.

What do you all do?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Elleth wrote: Actually, curious what you guys do for finger tabs on the go. I tend to only use them if I'll be shooting more than a dozen or so arrows in a fairly short period of time, but don't bother for stump shooting when I'm walking/scouting more than shooting.

What do you all do?
I use my shooting glove all the time...mainly because I like to be familiar with that feeling and I try to do all my task with the glove on...

So when I go scounting, stumping or target practice I have allways on my glove :)
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.” JRR Tolkien
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I shoot a modern recurve and since when I practice it will be continuously for a few hours at a time even though i have a small draw weight, I always use a finger tab of some kind to avoid blisters (and nerve damage according to a guy at the shop where I bought my bow, don't know if this is true? Best not to risk it :P )

I use to use this single layer leather tab:
IMG_20171015_195232.jpg
IMG_20171015_195232.jpg (157.31 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
But that annoyed me to much, forever slipping off my fingers, so I haven't used it much since I made this:
IMG_20171015_195316.jpg
IMG_20171015_195316.jpg (159.69 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
IMG_20171015_195322.jpg
IMG_20171015_195322.jpg (160.31 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I also go back and forth on the finger protection thing. With my 50 lb bows I do find my fingers hurting and going numb after even a moderate amount of shooting, but this is also probably because I am extremely out of practice these days, and even when I was shooting regularly I always used a glove. In terms of authenticity though, I feel like my shooting glove may not be quite the thing. I haven't really decided on a permanent solution to this, but at the very least I've been planning to add some kind of button or toggle on my shooting glove to replace its current Velcro closure.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains