Clothing updates

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Clothing updates

Post by Ursus »

Let the back log of updates continue! Today it's clothing.

Up first are my new boots. These are Bohemonds Medieval Boot that I have modified to lace up the front. I'm very happy with these. From a swordsman and woodsman view where footwork is key they afford perfect flexibility and comfort as well as an adequate degree of sturdiness without seeming clunky. The only thing I had to do other than modify the laceing was to rough up the leather soles a bit as they come quite smooth and slick.

Next up is my gauntlets. These are modified from Rose trimming gauntlets. The hand portion is thick but pliant. The cuff reaches almost to my elbow and is reasonably stiff. These are the closest thing to armour in my kit and are paramount in my use of my sword when half-swording. They also aid in covering up the whites of my hands when stalking and scouting. Also I like to think that as a "Hunter of the Enemy" it adds a certain martialness to my overall look.

My shirt is a new linen tunic I had made for me that is exactly like my standard mottled brown one. I dyed this one a deep green.

I'm going to cover my haversack, bedroll, and waterbag over in the hard kit forum at a later date but I threw in a few full kit shots from the wilds of my back yard. In them you can see how sadly my 6 ft privacy fence does at keeping me private lol.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (159.46 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (150.13 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (163.43 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (197.26 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (187.26 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (182.45 KiB) Viewed 19825 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Scarxik
Wanderer

Re: Clothing updates

Post by Scarxik »

I love the shoes... can I ask you for a favor ? Could you take a picture of the sole?... because Im currently gathering some information about period high boots I want to make and I'm really worried about the slick leather sole...I found some pics with car tire shawings glued on the sole but I really don't know how to do it :D

Anyway Great pics and like I said I really want to see the sole if you can snap me a pic :)
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.” JRR Tolkien
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

It looks like you were an extra that walked off the set from one of the movies!

Great job.

Interesting idea for the gauntlets.

A scarf/neckercheif/shemagh would probably be a good addition. They have lots of uses and they cover your neck from insects and the elements. It may also help prevent chafing from your bedroll. They can help with camo, too.

Headgear would also be a good idea to help with the sun and the Mordor-spwan ticks (you could spray it with Pemerethin).
Last edited by Harper on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Harper wrote:It looks like you were an extra tht walked off the set from one of the movies!

Great job.

Interesting idea for the gauntlets.

A scarf/neckercheif/shemagh would probably be a good addition. They have lots of uses and they cover your neck from insects and the elements. It may also help prevent chafing from your bedroll. They can help with camo, too.

Headgear would also be a good idea to help with the sun and the Mordor-spwan ticks (you could spray it with Pemerethin).

Good thoughts!

As it is I've always found neckerchiefs to be as much hindrance as help. I've trekked a lot miles with this setup with nary an issue with chaffing.

The hood of my cloak(not pictured) serves as head gear when needed. For me overall long hair is all the head gear I require. Insects and and other crawlies don't normally bother me much. Usually a few dabs of lavender oil keeps the worst of them off me. Best advise for insects, learn to ignore them. Ticks were oddly mild here this year.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Cedar Oil is another good one.

It has a slightly more "woodsy" smell. But I do like lavender.

Like lavender, cedar oil is supposed to work for ticks, too.

I've just had too many family members, friends and neighbors suffer from Lyme Disease to not wear a hat. They can be harder to see in hair.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Scarxik wrote:I love the shoes... can I ask you for a favor ? Could you take a picture of the sole?... because Im currently gathering some information about period high boots I want to make and I'm really worried about the slick leather sole...I found some pics with car tire shawings glued on the sole but I really don't know how to do it :D

Anyway Great pics and like I said I really want to see the sole if you can snap me a pic :)

Here you go. The soles have already had some wear. To texture them I first used a large rasp to rough them up slightly. I then lightly chopped at them with my knife width wise for further texture.
Attachments
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG (182.78 KiB) Viewed 19790 times

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Simply phenomenal work, and as always, you look the very picture of the 3rd-Age Dunedan! Stellar stuff here! The boots especially are excellent. Your modifications strike me as far more practical, and also more aesthetically pleasing than the original strange sort of knot-buttons the boots come with. Did you get them in that color, or did you dye them?
Last edited by Manveruon on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Manveruon wrote:Simply phenomenal work, and as always, you look the very picture of the 3rd-Age Dunedain! Stellar stuff here! The boots especially are excellent. Your modifications strike me as far more practical, and also more aesthetically pleasing than the original strange sort of knot-buttons the boots come with. Did you get them in that color, or did you dye them?

Thanks! I was worried at first that they would look to modern combat boot but I'm very happy with the mod.
I did dye them, the original brown was horrendously light.

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, it looks that way in their pictures. You did an excellent dye job on them.

*Also - edited the above post with the singular Dunedan, rather than the plural Dunedain, as was originally written*
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

AWESOME!

Also.. gah. I gotta bite the bullet and just learn to make boots someday.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

...Damn, dude.
Just...wow.
Your kit is incredible.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

That is a great looking kit Ursus. The boots look great as do the gauntlets. I had been looking at the same boots for the kit that I am going to start working on soon, but did not like the toggles. I am glad that you posted this so that I could see what they look like laced.

I do have some questions.
- For the boots, what leather did you use for the laces? What dye did you use to darken the boots? I agree that in the pictures on the site they are way to light!

- Where did you get the gauntlets? I started looking around and have found a pair at Home Depot that look close to what you have. I think that for scouting these will be better then the armored gauntlets that I have.

Keep up the great work!
Scott
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Zaskar24 wrote:That is a great looking kit Ursus. The boots look great as do the gauntlets. I had been looking at the same boots for the kit that I am going to start working on soon, but did not like the toggles. I am glad that you posted this so that I could see what they look like laced.

I do have some questions.
- For the boots, what leather did you use for the laces? What dye did you use to darken the boots? I agree that in the pictures on the site they are way to light!

- Where did you get the gauntlets? I started looking around and have found a pair at Home Depot that look close to what you have. I think that for scouting these will be better then the armored gauntlets that I have.

Keep up the great work!
Scott
The laces are merely common spooled leather lace. I intend to make some out of cordage when I get the time, but this serves for now.

The dye is Eco Flo dark brown gel dye. Normally I would do a walnut dye bath but being water based I didn't want the boots to potentially shrink. After the dye they were treated heavily with beeswax based dubbin.

The gauntlets came from a random seller on eBay. If you search for rose pruning gauntlets you should find something similar. I chose pruning gauntlets specifically due to them having a longer cuff. I've had them for some time and just got around to modding them. The modification was that I tailored the cuffs to be more slim as they were quite baggy.

Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Thank you for the information Ursus. I will look on eBay for the gauntlets.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Amazing kit Ursus, great boots.
I notice you have your bow in the photographs, are the gauntlet cuffs tight enough to replace an archery bracer?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.