Soo...I made a new Haversack

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Scarxik
Wanderer

Soo...I made a new Haversack

Post by Scarxik »

First of all I try to make a pair of boots... but like I said Im a beginner in leather working so I completely fail in this task.. and I'm planing make my first boots in future..

So long story short to avoid destroying all leather I just bought... I decide to make a new haversack... It's a 2,3mm thick cow hide leather stitched together with waxed thread... I made some engraving of the star and use my new basket wave stamp I just bought...

I made completely adjustable strap via buckle. I was planing to use buckle for closing but later I decided the simple way with just a leather cord and wooden button

Hope you like it

PS: Its little stiff for now.. I use vaseline to make it little bit softer but it doesn't help very much. If you have any ideas feel free to share it :)
Attachments
IMG_5048.jpg
IMG_5048.jpg (158.08 KiB) Viewed 18926 times
IMG_5047.jpg
IMG_5047.jpg (201.84 KiB) Viewed 18926 times
IMG_5046.jpg
IMG_5046.jpg (227.4 KiB) Viewed 18926 times
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.” JRR Tolkien
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Soo...I made a new Haversack

Post by Udwin »

FANCY! Sure you haven't done this before? ; )
That looks like some very fine work for a beginner! Well done.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Udwin wrote:FANCY! Sure you haven't done this before? ; )
That looks like some very fine work for a beginner! Well done.
Thanks Udwin :)

I made one pouch with this pattern and it turn out ok so I try to make a bigger one :) And I do leather work for a month so no :D but maybe in life before this :D
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

cool!

.. I like the little inset by the toggle. It reminds me of your quiver. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Elleth wrote:cool!

.. I like the little inset by the toggle. It reminds me of your quiver. :)
Thanks elleth :)

i need to confess the toggle was not my first choise... the toggle has a little tail with holes for the buckle and when the buckle plan was out of the table I just cut it to look cool :) and its look same as the one on the quiver so thats just a bonus :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Very nice :P I to am a beginner to leatherwork and have made some reasonably successful small things, your tooling puts mine to shame, love the evenness on the basket stamp
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks very nice! It actually fits the universe quite well, which a lot of stuff with modern tooling does not, to my eye, so good job!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This is seriously impressive work for someone who has only been doing leatherworking for about a month! This haversack is an item to be proud of indeed! The stitching and the tooling are done with the care and precision of someone who has been doing this kind of work for much, much longer. It's functional, it fits into the culture well, and it's beautifully constructed! Well done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Scarxik
Wanderer

Post by Scarxik »

Thank you all :) yes its a good culturá fit and works but its a one but in all this... its too small maybe its because I use thick leather for this it will be much better if I use some thinner leather :) But I work with what I have and I learn a lot in this project

Here is one photo of me from traditional archery tournament in beckov castle in slovakia :)

On second you can see my new haversack on the first small belt pouch I made about a weak ago but I forgot to share it :)

PS I need to work on my kit much more and please forgive me the shoes :D
Attachments
B8BB891D-406F-4292-A704-BF06752CC697.jpeg
B8BB891D-406F-4292-A704-BF06752CC697.jpeg (218.3 KiB) Viewed 18752 times
3D178E44-5934-4790-A9C0-FE23CDB4EB77.jpeg
3D178E44-5934-4790-A9C0-FE23CDB4EB77.jpeg (130.96 KiB) Viewed 18752 times
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Looking good! Making great progress!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Very impresive :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Well made!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.