My first cloak, and a question (pic heavy)

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

My first cloak, and a question (pic heavy)

Post by Iodo »

So, firstly I made a cloak. It is attempted dawarvish in style, it is made from a cheap wool blend blanket from internet (very heavy but very warm), it is made to a very square simple paturn, it fully closes at the front and, overall, I am pleased with the result:
IMG_20171017_203217.jpg
IMG_20171017_203217.jpg (219.18 KiB) Viewed 19600 times
IMG_20171017_203115.jpg
IMG_20171017_203115.jpg (255.15 KiB) Viewed 19600 times
I used a similar harness to game of thrones cloaks otherwise the weight of the wool would strangle me when I throw it over my shoulder when hot:
IMG_20171017_203258.jpg
IMG_20171017_203258.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 19600 times
Secondly time for the question:
The blanket was 60"x80" and I have fabric left. HELP I can't decide what to make :lol: after a lot of thought I have got down to two options, here they are:

OPTION 1

To make a wool tunic to a similar paturn to the linen one in the pictures above (this time a paturn that atuly fits me:)) although the sleeves would have to be 3/4 length as I have not quite enough fabric. The other issue is that blanket is really very thick and heavy, a tunic would possibly be to warm and heavy even though here in the UK winter is coming.

OPTION 2

My second option is to make a long sleeveless front fastening thing to a similar but slightly shorter cut to striders jerkin in the movies. This uses less fabric so would be lighter and I would have some left over for something else? (thus starting this whole problem again :P ).

I would be grateful for any opinion or feedback at all.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: My first cloak, and a question (pic heavy)

Post by Elleth »

Cool!

I expect you may find that strapping cumbersome with use: I can imagine that big ol' metal ring over over your breastbone getting driven against you once bags and bedroll and such go on. On the other hand, perhaps such minor discomforts don't bother the Khazad. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

You could make a hood -
The Hobbit, Chapter 1: An Unexpected Party wrote:It was a dwarf with a blue beard tucked into a golden belt, and very bright eyes under his dark-green hood. As soon as the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected. He hung his hooded cloak on the nearest peg, and ‘Dwalin at your service!’ he said with a low bow.
The Hobbit, Chapter 1: An Unexpected Party wrote:“Now we are all here!" said Gandalf, looking at the row of thirteen hoods—the best detachable party hoods—and his own hat hanging on the pegs.
The Hobbit, Chapter 2: Roast Mutton wrote:Bilbo was wearing a dark-green hood (a little weather-stained) and a dark-green cloak borrowed from Dwalin.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Taurinor wrote:You could make a hood
THIS.

I like how your cloak drapes, and the practical length. It reminds me of Andy's classic Watch Cloak:
front_buttoned_wet_op_416x600.jpg
front_buttoned_wet_op_416x600.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 19574 times
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:
I expect you may find that strapping cumbersome with use: I can imagine that big ol' metal ring over over your breastbone getting driven against you once bags and bedroll and such go on. On the other hand, perhaps such minor discomforts don't bother the Khazad. :mrgreen:
I have already wonderd that, the metal ring is quite thin, i made it from bending a 4mm piece of brass round in a circle and sodering it together, i hoped that with it in the middle it might be ok with a backpack but Since I don't yet have any of that stuff I decided to save that problem for future self :P
Taurinor wrote:You could make a hood -
Good idea, I might go with option 2 then I will have enough fabric to make a hood as well
Greg wrote:
I like how your cloak drapes, and the practical length. It reminds me of Andy's classic Watch Cloak:
Thanks :lol: I I'll admit to having seen that on the wiki and taking insparation
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Iodo wrote:I have already wonderd that, the metal ring is quite thin, i made it from bending a 4mm piece of brass round in a circle and sodering it together, i hoped that with it in the middle it might be ok with a backpack but Since I don't yet have any of that stuff I decided to save that problem for future self :P
Once you wear it a bit and see how the straps settle, you might be able to switch to solid straps stitched together at a comfortable angle. You could also potential swap the ring out for a heavy leather plate with slots for the straps (maybe something like the center plate for a saddle breastplate?), which might ride a little more comfortably and also presents an opportunity for some decorative tooling!
Iodo wrote:Good idea, I might go with option 2 then I will have enough fabric to make a hood as well
I've found that blankets are usually a little heavy and stiff for close fitting garments - hoods and cloaks are fine, but not so much tunics and the like. Of course, it gets much colder where you are! There are lots of non-garment uses for wool you could consider - a canteen cover like Udwin's (which you can wet and it will cool your water as it dries!), or a wool haversack/knapsack. Of course, you could always save some for repairs to your cloak!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Taurinor wrote:Once you wear it a bit and see how the straps settle, you might be able to switch to solid straps stitched together at a comfortable angle. You could also potential swap the ring out for a heavy leather plate with slots for the straps (maybe something like the center plate for a saddle breastplate?), which might ride a little more comfortably and also presents an opportunity for some decorative tooling!
I like the idea of a leather plate with slots in, might consider if I have a problem with the ring. I still haven't decided what to make because after making the paturns there is enough for option 1 and a hood. It is defiantly cold in the UK so a wool tunic would be OK I think
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Iodo wrote:I still haven't decided what to make because after making the paturns there is enough for option 1 and a hood. It is defiantly cold in the UK so a wool tunic would be OK I think
I think you definitely should think about making a wool tunic! I wear a wool tunic in the winter in Virginia, which I believe stays a bit warmer than Cheshire, so your climate certainly calls for one. I just don't know that blanket wool (especially inexpensive blanket wool) is the best wool for the task. My wool tunic is made from a women's winter coat that I thrifted, and while it is similar in thickness to some wool blankets I've had, it has a softer hand, drapes a bit better, and seems to be made from finer fibers than a milsurp blanket. Greg put it this way when describing working on his surcoat:
Greg wrote:Years ago, I believe Wulfgar here on the forums stated that he'd prefer to "leave blankets as blankets and use fabrics as fabrics" (inexact quote) during a discussion about sewing with army surplus blankets. After several years of slowly moving away from the surplus wool blends, having had this material under my needle for six weeks and now wearing it as I type, I couldn't agree more. It's thinner, lighter, not scratchy, AND WARMER, all at once. Fabric is for fabric. Blankets stay blankets.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

when I have the funds, I'm going to be doing both summer weight and winter weight tunics, I've found a website that has boiled wool and linen for that purpose, and I'll also be using the boiled wool for pants and cloak as well. but that's just what I'm doing, mostly because I'm a glutton for punishment *laugh*
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Fabric is for fabric. Blankets stay blankets.
Something to think about, my cheap wool blend blanket is definitely not the best but due to lack of anything better it may have to do
Taurinor wrote: I think you definitely should think about making a wool tunic! I wear a wool tunic in the winter in Virginia, which I believe stays a bit warmer than Cheshire, so your climate certainly calls for one. I just don't know that blanket wool (especially inexpensive blanket wool) is the best wool for the task. My wool tunic is made from a women's winter coat that I thrifted, and while it is similar in thickness to some wool blankets I've had, it has a softer hand, drapes a bit better, and seems to be made from finer fibers than a milsurp blanket.
Would you mind sharing some details on how you did this, possibly a photo of it? This could be an alternative to using the nasty blanket fabric :P
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Iodo wrote:Would you mind sharing some details on how you did this, possibly a photo of it? This could be an alternative to using the nasty blanket fabric :P
That's usually the sort of thing I take photos of, but I either failed to document my process, or the photos have gotten lost in various device transitions. I did some quick sketches to try to show what I did, as best as I remember it. Sorry about the quality (or lack there of) of the drawings!

The first step was finding an appropriate coat to start with. The one I used looked something like this -
Thrifted wool coat.jpg
Thrifted wool coat.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 19460 times
It was a wool women's coat in a large size (and happened to be green!), with a couple features that made it well suited to taking it apart and putting it back together. It had overlapping front panels, which meant there was more fabric to work with, but it didn't have a lot of buttons (which meant not a lot of buttonholes). It had patch pockets, instead of welt or slash pockets, which meant the pockets were just sewn onto the coat, rather than there being cuts in the body of the coat. And, like I said, it was green wool!

I took it apart, and got pieces something like this -
Thrifted wool coat disassembled.jpg
Thrifted wool coat disassembled.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 19460 times
I then pinned my pattern pieces onto the coat pieces and cut them out. It took a little playing with the layout, but I got what I needed, eventually -
cutting diagram.jpg
cutting diagram.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 19460 times
I don't know if that was exactly how I did it, but it was something along those lines. I had to put a few gores in, and since I use this tunic for 14th century reenacting as well, I had to do the complicated transitional sleeves, which is why those look so strange. I also made it button up the front and sleeves. You could streamline all that quite a bit by using simple sleeves and using a different front closure system.

Here's a couple shots of me wearing the tunic with my medieval kit -

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Very nice, thanks for sharing this infomation :P now i know that the trick is to buy a coat to cut up for fabric and not keep any origanal stitching at all (very good tip about pockets), next time I'm in a second hand store I will look out for something that will work. I think I will be sticking to my simple tunic pattern though :lol: If I find something then I will go with option one and have an extra layer for cold British winters.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I have finally made something with the leftover fabric :P and am pleased to report I still have enough left for a hood. Although I haven't yet found a coat (still looking) I can use to make a tunic.
So here's my most recent creation:
IMG_20171028_174002.jpg
IMG_20171028_174002.jpg (172.26 KiB) Viewed 19355 times
IMG_20171028_174018.jpg
IMG_20171028_174018.jpg (119.23 KiB) Viewed 19355 times
IMG_20171028_174044.jpg
IMG_20171028_174044.jpg (167.94 KiB) Viewed 19355 times
And I have a new dwarf style shirt, a good find from a thrift store but I changed the buttons for nice metal ones and took off the collar, its even linen:
IMG_20171028_174353.jpg
IMG_20171028_174353.jpg (190.99 KiB) Viewed 19355 times
My most productive day yet :lol:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

This stuff is great! I don't mean to pigeonhole you here, but your gear has a very Breelander feel to it. You'd fit in around Eriador, for sure!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote:This stuff is great! I don't mean to pigeonhole you here, but your gear has a very Breelander feel to it. You'd fit in around Eriador, for sure!
Glad you like it :P I am yet to make anything that is unquestionably dwarvish, so far I only have basics that would pass most places. When I get some leather and start tooling (and a belt that isn't my work one :mrgreen: ) hopefuly I will make some stuff that more fits my character.

Be warned I really like the WETA dwarf stuff from the hobbit (I also have the WETA books) and my tooling designs might be very angular and geometric, I know there are mixed opinions here :lol: