My first cloak, and a question (pic heavy)

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: My first cloak, and a question (pic heavy)

Post by Elleth »

Iodo wrote:Be warned I really like the WETA dwarf stuff from the hobbit (I also have the WETA books) and my tooling designs might be very angular and geometric, I know there are mixed opinions here :lol:
Ha! :mrgreen:

I think one can go aways down the WETA road without getting silly - the trick to keeping the blockiness from overwhelming things I think is to also pull in some old Norse flavor and a bit of animal/organics (especially ravens!)

I don't think anyone's perfectly nailed the Dwarven aesthetic yet... but somewhere in the space between WETA, Alan Lee, and and Gullibursti is a good place to start experimenting. At one time I'd have put Turner Mohan in that list, but while I love his Numenorean stuff I think his Khazad have become too WETA-influcenced. Contrariwise, Lee is nicely grounded in believably, but not quite exotic enough. Dwarves are a tough aesthetic to get right I think. I'm really curious to hear Ringulf's thoughts.
dwarven-blades-thoradin-ambolt.jpg
dwarven-blades-thoradin-ambolt.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 17635 times
Dwarven-ish blades by Thoradin Ambolt
dwarven-pouch-thorin-nathans-workshop.jpg
dwarven-pouch-thorin-nathans-workshop.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 17635 times
Thorin's pouch (WETA) replicated by Nathan's Workshop

Organic carvings by our own Gulli - Petr Floriánek of Gullinbursti
thorin-bilbo-alan-lee.jpg
thorin-bilbo-alan-lee.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 17635 times
Thorin and Bilbo by Alan Lee
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:Dwarves are a tough aesthetic to get right I think.
That's something I am learning :lol: The trouble is the angular blocky element is what I like. Hopefully because I aim to keep everything I make functional it shouldn't go to far :mrgreen:

I really like that blade shape in the picture, the one third from the right, project for when I finish my forge maybe :P :?:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

The vest came out very nicely! With something short like that, I think the stiffer blanket material will be less of an issue than it would be in something like a tunic. Speaking of, that's a good looking shirt! I've always had a hard time with shirts-as-tunics, but that one seems to have a good length to it, and I especially like the layered look you've got going on!
Iodo wrote:
Elleth wrote:Dwarves are a tough aesthetic to get right I think.
That's something I am learning :lol: The trouble is the angular blocky element is what I like. Hopefully because I aim to keep everything I make functional it shouldn't go to far :mrgreen:
I think the "blocky" aesthetic can work quite well - I especially enjoy the angular knotwork on Gimli's helmet and axe in the LotR movies. I personally feel like Weta just took it took far, to the point that things no longer seemed functional. I think if you prioritize function over form, you won't have that issue!

I think a fair amount of Ringulf's images have fallen victim to the great Photobucket betrayal, but he has a DeviantArt gallery you could check out - this picture and this picture might be of particular interest to you, but all of his work is lovely!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Taurinor wrote:The vest came out very nicely! With something short like that, I think the stiffer blanket material will be less of an issue than it would be in something like a tunic. Speaking of, that's a good looking shirt! I've always had a hard time with shirts-as-tunics, but that one seems to have a good length to it, and I especially like the layered look you've got going on!

I have worn the vest/shirt combo hiking for an afternoon at the weekend and am pleased to say i didn't have an issue with that fabric being to stiff :P
The shirt is men's XL and on my dad it is not even close to being long enough to be a tunic, an advantage to being not very tall :lol:

Thanks for the link to Ringulfs gallery, I have spent along time wishing I could see those images :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love the progress you're making here! Your kit is really coming together!

I am also a big fan of the geometric/angular design Weta lent the Dwarves, but like Taurinor was saying, I think they just took it a little too far. The stuff in the Lord of the Rings films has a much more functional real-world feel than the stuff in the Hobbit, but there's some great stuff in the Hobbit designs too. I LOVE those art books, incidentally. The stuff in there showing all the various tools and whatnot that they designed for the Dwarves is absolutely drool-inducing. I wish more of that had made it to the screen, but there's only so much you can cram in, heh.

Oh, and Taurinor: The "Great Photobucket Betrayal?" PERFECT.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: The stuff in there showing all the various tools and whatnot that they designed for the Dwarves is absolutely drool-inducing. I wish more of that had made it to the screen, but there's only so much you can cram in, heh.
I absolutely agree with you on that :lol: when my kit gets more advanced I might put together something similar, although perhaps a little more basic
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I finally got round to making a hood from the left over fabric to complete my plan. Figuring out a paturn that worked took a few goes and quite a lot of scrap fabric but I got there in the end.

Front:
IMG_20171113_215805.JPG
IMG_20171113_215805.JPG (190.34 KiB) Viewed 17416 times
Back:
IMG_20171113_213213.jpg
IMG_20171113_213213.jpg (193.81 KiB) Viewed 17416 times
Detail:
IMG_20171113_213108.jpg
IMG_20171113_213108.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 17416 times
(Sorry for the checked shirt, my decent one was in the wash :lol: maybe I should get two?)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice Job !
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That turned out pretty cool! Is the front embroidered?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice work Ranger! and very nice to have another brother of the beard among us! let me know if I can help in any way! Ringulf...At your service!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote:That turned out pretty cool! Is the front embroidered?
The detail is stitched on, it isn't really embroidery, I have just used simple stitching and thick back thread to create the paturn. (It sadly isn't very clear on the photo taken with my speshal extra cheep camera to meet image size limits) Glad you like it, I am thinking of doing some on the waistcoat to make it look less plain but thought I would see what fellow forumites think of it first :P
Ringulf wrote:Very nice work Ranger! and very nice to have another brother of the beard among us! let me know if I can help in any way! Ringulf...At your service!
Sister of the beard, don't worry it is an easy mistake to make :mrgreen:

I really admire your work Ringulf, I think I have looked at most of your gallery on DeviantArt (since most of it is no longer on this forum "the great photo bucket betrayal" :lol: ) and probably wouldn't have thought of becoming a dwarven ranger if I hadn't read your posts :P:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

So then my friend it seems even the Khazad can agree with Gimli's statement, if not Aragorn's! My appologies young one for a beardling you must be no matter the gender but my admiration for you does not waver in the least! You have done fine work, you should be proud of, and many thanks for your kind words. if I have done anything at all to inspire one Dwarf to this merry gathering of Rangers it has been my honor entirely!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh I like that hood... did you come up with the design yourself?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ringulf wrote:So then my friend it seems even the Khazad can agree with Gimli's statement, if not Aragorn's! My appologies young one for a beardling you must be no matter the gender but my admiration for you does not waver in the least! You have done fine work, you should be proud of, and many thanks for your kind words. if I have done anything at all to inspire one Dwarf to this merry gathering of Rangers it has been my honor entirely!
Iodo... At your service :P (can't believe I didn't think of saying that before)
Elleth wrote:Oh I like that hood... did you come up with the design yourself?
I guess I did, the shape is based on one of Greg's hoods I saw on here a while ago although I couldn't find the thread today, but I did design the paturn from scratch.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

The hood came out great! The decorative stitching adds a lot to it, I think. Having it short over the shoulders like that seems like it would help it play nicely with the cloak.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)