Leather weight for boot soles?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Derrek321

Leather weight for boot soles?

Post by Derrek321 »

Hi I'm making a new pair of boots close in style to the ones pictured below but they will cover more of the calf.
I'm debating on leather weight for the soles I think the deer skin I have would be most comfortable since I'll mainly just be wearing them on grass but obviously won't be as durable as more heavy weight leathers I could use.
I have 3 choices, the deer skin, 15oz saddle leather, or some 10oz. The 10oz pieces are already soles to another pair of boots but I'm not particularly fond of that pair. So what do you guys think? I don't necessarily need the rigidity of the higher weights and would also enjoy the comfort of deer skin soles but obviously the 10oz or 15oz would hold up a lot longer and could be worn on more harsh ground.
il_570xN.299094193.jpg
il_570xN.299094193.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 10520 times
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Leather weight for boot soles?

Post by Elleth »

I think you'll wear through the derskin in no time, even off pavement. The 18th c. guys go through moccasins like nobody's business. I think you want at least 7oz, but agree the 15 sounds awful heavy, so... leaning towards 10.

What dont you like about that set?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Derrek321

Post by Derrek321 »

They're just old with no closure like socks basically. The leather I made them out of is a bit stretchy but it's kind of stretched out more than I want. Just wanting to make a different style.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Those are turnshoes.
Don't be afraid of heavy leather, but be careful, some saddle leather is treated with some sort of wax and uh that won't do for soles.

Here's a bit of a guide from some friends of mine.
https://regia.org/members/kit/A%20begin ... nshoes.pdf
5mm - 12-13 oz
3mm - 7-8 oz
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Derrek321 wrote:I don't necessarily need the rigidity of the higher weights and would also enjoy the comfort of deer skin soles but obviously the 10oz or 15oz would hold up a lot longer and could be worn on more harsh ground.
You'd be surprised how soft a heavy (10+ oz) cowhide will seem when it's underfoot. You'd be even more surprised to discover how much you still feel through your shoe, even with a clump sole and a sheepskin liner.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.