Finally!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Finally!

Post by Elwindil »

So I have finally finished one of the pouches that I cut from that oiled leather I bought last year. I'm pleased with the way it turned out considering that sewing is not something that I am accomplished at, it's a skill I have but not one that I practice regularly, rather like most of everything else I need to brush up on I suppose. *laugh*

that said, there are things I would do differently on a second one, if anyone is curious I'll answer those questions. now for trying to put up pictures.
pouch start.jpg
pouch start.jpg (250.03 KiB) Viewed 11186 times
So, this here is the start of things. I've got it laid out before punching in the diamond stitching holes. I left out some pieces in the final build, the belt looking strap bit and a piece that is supposed to reinforce the back, because they seemed unnecessary once I got to assembling. I didn't get any in progress pictures beyond this first one, because once I started I just kept going with minimal breaks.
pouch finish.jpg
pouch finish.jpg (190.59 KiB) Viewed 11186 times
this is what the final product looks like, that wooden toggle is one I hand made from a piece of small tree branch I trimmed early last year. the cord holding it is waxed cotton cord, not period/setting correct but it's the closest I have and I'd already bought it so no sense in not using it.
pouch interior.jpg
pouch interior.jpg (240.95 KiB) Viewed 11186 times
this is the interior, not a cavernous pouch by any means, but it will hold small items like a fire kit and such odds and ends as that.
pouch side.jpg
pouch side.jpg (237.45 KiB) Viewed 11186 times
and here we see the admittedly rather poor stitching on the side. looking back, I would have probably used a different stitching method than what I initially used.

any comments, questions, critiques are more than welcome.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Finally!

Post by Elleth »

A grand start!

I think you will be more satisfied in the future with a saddle-stitch - and perhaps running the seam line a hair closer to the edge - but that's definitely functional.

Onward! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks like a good pouch, am I right in thinking that to close it you thread the wooden toggle through the square hole then through the loop?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I tried a saddle stitch for some things, and find it a little difficult without the stitching horse due to arthritis and all. and yes, Iodo I thread t he toggle through the square hole and then the loop.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elwindil wrote:and yes, Iodo I thread t he toggle through the square hole and then the loop.
That is a very good idea, I may have to steal that :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

it works surprisingly well, and if memory serves it was one of the many ways a pouch was closed, some of the others that I've seen in museums were a toggle sewn to the pouch body with a hole through the flap and a loop of cord wound around the toggle, at least that was the reconstruction any way. it might not have actually been done that way
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Some of the Birka pouches (aka tarsoly) from the 10th century use a cut-out/loop closure like that, but they are thought to have been held closed with a leather strap instead of a horn. You can see some of the fittings and a reconstruction here.

Slightly different execution, same concept.

Nice pouch, by the way :mrgreen:
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)