WETA Gondor Buckles - Boromir, Faramir, etc.

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: WETA Gondor Buckles - Boromir, Faramir, etc.

Post by Elleth »

Playing with them a bit at my desk this afternoon, I think they're all safe- but I prefer to overengineer where possible. So tonight after sending off another promised bit of work the "Aragorn Quiver" straight-bowed kit buckle and the "Faramir Quiver" large frame buckle are going to be ever-so-slightly tweaked before going public. The rounder-bowed "Faramir cloak / Boromor surcote" clasp is I think perfect, since in the costumes we see it's attached to leather yardage rather than straps, hence there's zero downside and a bit more stability to the slightly wider-spaced pins - that one's already live now.

(All these differences are like 1/16 inch or so, so it's truly just final polish at this point)

I'm really really happy - and now seriously considering crafting an Ithilien quiver at some point just so I can use this large frame buckle. I was kind of ambivalent about the WETA design at first, but playing with it in real life I'm really impressed.
merf-weta-lord-rings-gondor-buckles.jpg
merf-weta-lord-rings-gondor-buckles.jpg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
Edit - after playing with the quiver buckle some more in the the modeling studio, I've decided to leave it as is. I'm content with the amount of meat left on the belt, and If I move those studs in any more I think I risk allowing more torque that would wear the strap out faster anyhow- resulting in no real gain. So - done! Woo! I do want to make those tweaks on the "Aragorn Quiver" buckle since it goes on a narrower strap however. Ran out of time tonight, but should be in place tomorrow sometime.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

SUPER pleased. Like you said, the attachment points are a little close to the edge, but that's my only criticism. I'm definitely going to need some more. Thank you again. Image Image
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Okay, the "Aragorn" buckles are updated to move the studs inboard a bit. Should be the same size:

Aragorn Quiver Buckle (steel)
Aragorn Quiver Buckle Baseplate (steel)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.