Not a sword, but a needle

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gærfast
Wayfarer

Not a sword, but a needle

Post by Gærfast »

So I'm starting to sketch and build my color pallet for my soft kit. Within the next few days I'll be ordering some wool for my pants. And what pants will they be?
I'll be sewing a pair of Thorsburg pants to start. The loose fit and gusseted crotch should be comfortable and allow mobility. I feel like using Norse and Saxon clothing for my gear will fit thematically. Their clothing was simple, practical wonderfully dark age. Layers of browns, greens and greys in wools and linens.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Not a sword, but a needle

Post by Udwin »

An excellent choice of pattern to start out. I've made four pairs over the last few years--three for myself (two linen for summer wear, one in light wool for winter), and one linen pair for our own Greg. He can tell you all about their comfort. All have been made by deconstructing plus-size trousers from the thrift store--nice way to save some $$ and not have to pay for fabric by the yard.
I've also found there's a certain order it helps to sew the seams in, in order to minimize bulk. I'll have to look it up in my notes.

It's worth noting that while the only colors associated with the Dunedain in the text are dark green, rusty browns and greens, and dark gray, natural dyeing processes can yield many other colors that can 'liven' up an outfit. Madder produces some beautiful reds, pinks, and oranges; sorrel root produces an almost fluorescent yellow, plus the many blues of woad. The clothing of the sons of Elrond are suggested to be less sombre than the Rangers', so friendship with Rivendell might be a nice way to introduce some more colours into your kit.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Gærfast
Wayfarer

Post by Gærfast »

A couple years ago I did up a hiberno-Norse kit. Fashion victims of the dark ages, there were blue of woad, yellow, saffron and red. Kinda looking forward to a more subdued kit.
Gærfast
Wayfarer

Post by Gærfast »

Just ordered a nice, natural brown wool for my pants from Wm Booth Draper. Their browns and greens are varied enough in weight and hue that I should be able to put together a pretty nice kit.