Recreating Norway's Oldest Garment

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Recreating Norway's Oldest Garment

Post by Harper »

---

I thought that some of you would enjoy this:

Udwin
Vendor

Re: Recreating Norway's Oldest Garment

Post by Udwin »

Fascinating! I wonder what its value was at the time--760 hours is a LOT of womanhours. Thanks for sharing.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.

That bit where they wait until the sheep starts to shed and then pick out the fleece is a *fascinating* bit of trivia. It would save on hiring a shearer to. :)
Now I'm honestly curious how much difference it really makes in the wool. We'll have to try it next year!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Elleth wrote:That bit where they wait until the sheep starts to shed and then pick out the fleece is a *fascinating* bit of trivia. It would save on hiring a shearer to. :)
Now I'm honestly curious how much difference it really makes in the wool. We'll have to try it next year!
I don't know how well that would work with modern wooly sheep. I think they've more or less had the shedding bred out of them. I have some Hawaiian hair sheep who shed their winter coats like this, but the woolies I've seen don't do that.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

But we don't have modern sheep!

We have Icelandics, who look pretty much exactly like the breed in the video. Last year for lots of reasons we were late with our sheering, and I was pulling great big gobs of fleece of one of our rams once he started to shed.

So I think it'll work. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

THAT. IS. AWESOME. The best pair of gloves I've ever had were Icelandic Wool. Picked them up passing through Iceland on my way to Sweden many years ago, then a year later lost them on the Icelandic tundra on a backpacking trip on my way back to the states.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Udwin wrote:Fascinating! I wonder what its value was at the time--760 hours is a LOT of womanhours. Thanks for sharing.
Basically, most people would have exactly one tunic.
Quite an interesting perspective.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.