Dwarven Surcoat?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Dwarven Surcoat?

Post by Iodo »

I have failed to post a project for quite a while, not because I haven't made anything but because I haven't got round to posting. I finished this about a week ago, it's made from pure wool and is much thinner and lighter than my waistcoat made from blanket fabric.
IMG_20180222_213613.jpg
IMG_20180222_213613.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
IMG_20180222_213751.jpg
IMG_20180222_213751.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
The same pattern as on my vambracers:
IMG_20180222_214006.jpg
IMG_20180222_214006.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
Pieces before I stitched them together:
IMG_20180211_200034.jpg
IMG_20180211_200034.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
The idea started at something more like Nori's from TH movie and ended up looking totally different, now I'm finished I'm not even sure if it looks dwarvish? but i'm pleased with it all the same.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Dwarven Surcoat?

Post by Elleth »

Interesting - I like the embroidery.
Out of curiosity, why panels on the rear and single pieces on the front? Was it purely a "what the yardage allowed" decision, or is it an aesthetic choice?

I like the closures, to. Your progress is astonishing. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:Interesting - I like the embroidery.
Out of curiosity, why panels on the rear and single pieces on the front? Was it purely a "what the yardage allowed" decision, or is it an aesthetic choice?

I like the closures, to. Your progress is astonishing. :)
Thankyou :P

The panels on the rear are separate because of the way it hangs with a belt, to get decent coverage for my legs to help keep the weather out, the back panels are shaped to hang vertically downwards. You can just about see on the paturn, that when the surcoat is flat on the floor both back and front panels overlap by about an inch, making it impossible to make the back from one seamless piece of fabric (the front isn't a problem, with it being split down the middle).
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very nice. I see the dwarven feel in it still...I think you've got another winner.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I like the unifying theme you've got going on with the repeated pattern! Looks like a lovely wool.

With the different lengths and fabric weights, it seems like you could potentially wear this surcoat under your green blanket waistcoat if the cold called for it.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Taurinor wrote: With the different lengths and fabric weights, it seems like you could potentially wear this surcoat under your green blanket waistcoat if the cold called for it.
Yes, I already have done and it works quite nicely.