Interesting belts

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Interesting belts

Post by caedmon »

Don't know the source.

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Interesting belts

Post by Iodo »

That's different, it almost looks like it's designed to be used as a weapon with the splin brass weighted ends?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That IS interesting. And, to my mind, vaguely rohirric.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Fascinating... yeah, my first guess was c. 1st c. Germanic, though there's lots of what looks like Roman influence in the buckle frame of "B" - likewise the metallic ends of "C" remind me of the apron of a Roman soldier's belt.

I think in a M.E. context I'd be inclined to make them Dunlendish - they've got that "Euro Barbarian" look to 'em. :)
Though I could definitely see an argument for Rohirric or even early early Gondorian.

Now I'm curious where these are from!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Fascinating... yeah, my first guess was c. 1st c. Germanic, though there's lots of what looks like Roman influence in the buckle frame of "B" - likewise the metallic ends of "C" remind me of the apron of a Roman soldier's belt.

I think in a M.E. context I'd be inclined to make them Dunlendish - they've got that "Euro Barbarian" look to 'em. :)
Though I could definitely see an argument for Rohirric or even early early Gondorian.

Now I'm curious where these are from!
Ok, looked at it hard again, guessing it's German, and the top line is something like "Germanic belts from the beginning of the Roman Imperial era".
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Derp. What am I thinking?
There you go, actually *reading* things. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Derp. What am I thinking?
There you go, actually *reading* things. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I didn't either when I posted it. I simple confirmed, "Yup, not English, I must not understand it!"
-Jack Horner

Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

caedmon wrote:Ok, looked at it hard again, guessing it's German, and the top line is something like "Germanic belts from the beginning of the Roman Imperial era".
Yup. I forgot how much I like translating German, it's been too long...literally: "German-ish girdles from the Beginning of the Roman-ish Caesar-time"

Interesting designs, indeed. Decorated forked tongues as easy way to 'dress up' one's leather goods.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA