Cloak and Back Quiver

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Cloak and Back Quiver

Post by Elendur Amloth »

This may have been discussed before. I looked through the posts but couldn't find anything recent. I was wanting to share my system of using a back quiver with a cloak - some may find it helpful. My wool cloak has a slightly larger sized than quiver slit that allows the quiver to come through the cloak. I have buttons so that the cloak can be buttoned up when one is using the cloak for a blanket. If you have any further ideas, please share.
Attachments
DSCF4285.JPG
DSCF4285.JPG (225.47 KiB) Viewed 17063 times
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Cloak and Back Quiver

Post by Elleth »

Cool!

The buttons are an interesting idea! I'm curious to see how that works. :)
Also that patch on the quivers is interesting: I assume they're uniform, and have some kind of design on them? How does your quiver strapping work - does the tail strap come straight off the bottom like the trad American back quivers, or out the side like the WETA Ithilien quivers?

Anyhow, regarding cloaks I'm increasingly partial to Greg's solution, and hope one day to get around to following his lead.
The two things I've absolutely learned though for the next revision:
  • * no longer than around knee-length at the hem: otherwise backing up (especially uphill) means one is courting a tumble.
    * sew the neck closed for at least 3-4," and ideally tailor the top of the cloak to the curve of the shoulders a bit. It really really really cuts down on the strangling effect you get whenever the wind picks up.
    It's still not perfect, but it's a ton better.

I'll say one thing about this hobby: it teaches you the difference between "costume" and "clothes" in very short order... and usually not too painfully. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Great solution to the problem, is it hard to put the quiver/cloak on with it through the slit?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Post by Elendur Amloth »

Elleth, I'll get you some photos of the strapping. I may have some in my files - if so, I'll post. But basically one strap comes off the top of the quiver and over the shoulder while a second strap comes around the waist with both straps connecting to a central brass ring. Good thoughts on the cloak. If you notice, my comrades is shorter than mine so yes, I need to shorten it. The shield on the quiver has a Tree of Gondor with Seven Stars on it.

Iodo, no, not at all. The key is making the slit large enough and the slit is not straight but sort of an angle to accommodate the quiver.

I'm one of those people who hate having my cloak constrained as I'm sure some of you are. It not only heats you up but restrains movement and is downright uncomfortable. I haven't experimented with this but I suppose a series of these slits could be put in place to accommodate horseshoe packs/tumplines as well.
Attachments
DSCF4254.JPG
DSCF4254.JPG (207.13 KiB) Viewed 17051 times
DSCF4249.JPG
DSCF4249.JPG (220.19 KiB) Viewed 17051 times
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ooooh... interesting strap system. That looks really secure! I bet you don't have the wandering-fletching "where did my arrows go?" problem either, with the foot strapped in like that. . :)
So I assume there's a slit about centerline at the hip.... and does the shoulder strap go over the cloak or back under?
Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Post by Elendur Amloth »

The strap goes under the cloak so no need for a slit at center line (of the cloak I think you mean). The one slit in the back is enough to accommodate the quiver and the strapping system. The quiver is very secure and is fleece lined so not much rattling around. There's brass hooks that hook onto the brass ring and the whole thing can be adjusted as well.

I didn't make this quiver myself but had it commissioned and for the life of me, can't remember the guys name now - guess I'm getting old. Gonna do more research and find him.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Thanks for sharing.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice, thanks :P Ingenious harness system

I'm with Elleth on the cloak length thing, both my cloaks are just above the knees, it helps prevent getting caught in brambles as well.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

Elleth wrote:

Anyhow, regarding cloaks I'm increasingly partial to Greg's solution, and hope one day to get around to following his lead.
The two things I've absolutely learned though for the next revision:

I'll say one thing about this hobby: it teaches you the difference between "costume" and "clothes" in very short order... and usually not too painfully. :)

What exactly is Greg's solution?
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

kleenur wrote: What exactly is Greg's solution?
I think Elleth is referring to Greg's Bocksten cloak

I did my own version of this and it works incredibly well :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Eeek! I'm sorry I didn't answer. Yes, Iodo is exactly right. :mrgreen:
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

This is the exact sort of cloak I've been looking for. I think I may even be able to make it even with my terrible sewing skills. If it works out I might even make 2. One for spring/fall that uses this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZRZ5VN/?c ... _lig_dp_it blanket, and one that uses the same blanket, but with mink lining (my mother inherited a mink coat). I have a very light weight summer cloak already that I think I will need to just alter how it fastens.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien