Boot making in progress.

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Boot making in progress.

Post by Elwindil »

so I have begun making a pair of boots out of that oiled hide that I bought. (finally, I know.) made the soles, a heel cup and have everything cut out so far, but progress is halting due to lack of tools so I will update this once I have the tools needed to continue. pictures will be forthcoming hopefully tomorrow of the work in progress.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Boot making in progress.

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress :)
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Sounds like a fun project :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

What tools do you need ? Many can be improvised from household items. Ground down forks can make multi prong chisels, clothespins make clamps etc.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

cool!

what pattern are you using again, if I may ask?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I'm not actually using a pattern, I took measurements and am making it up as I go. difficult and problematic, but it will get the best fit in the end I feel. As for the tools I need, I'm currently needing something that can give a consistent arc as well as a tool that can cut on said arc better than the ones I have, perhaps a better knife than the xacto knife I have and the rotary cutter, which is good but doesn't like cutting anything other than a straight line all that well, at least with leather.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Depending on the thickness of the leather you want to cut on a curve, you can buy a cheap pair of scissors at a dollar store and bend the scissors to the desired arc,then simply cut.
imaginatus
Wayfarer

Post by imaginatus »

Elwindil, if you've not seen them before, you might also check out Nigel Armitage's videos. He's a traditionally trained master leather craftsman in the UK and his videos are great.
There is one where he thoroughly demonstrates proper mechanics for cutting leather. I found the techniques work well, even with a cheap knife. He's also got a couple about knives for leather work - though it will make you want to buy a $300 custom job. :P
Keep us posted. I'm eager to see how the boots turn out.
Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I have decided to pick up in the near future a hand crank cobbler's stitching machine as that will make this a bit easier of a process, and I believe it would be well within the technical abilities of Middle Earth, and it will take some of the strain of hand sewing off of my back and shoulders.