Lion totem?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Lion totem?

Post by Straelbora »

I asked over at the Facebook page, but I'm guessing there may be a few folk who don't access this page and the FB page:

Anyone here have the lion as a totem animal?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Lion totem?

Post by Ghostsoldier »

New guy here... while I'm still putting my Ranger kit together, I'll be using a wolf totem in my impression, as a nod to my English outlaw (wolfshead) persona that I used to sport about 35 years ago, when I joined the SCA.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ghostsoldier wrote:New guy here... while I'm still putting my Ranger kit together, I'll be using a wolf totem in my impression, as a nod to my English outlaw (wolfshead) persona that I used to sport about 35 years ago, when I joined the SCA.

Rob

I think the wolf is an excellent symbol for the Ranger: sometimes a lone wolf, but more likely in a pack, with a large territory to patrol.
Hávamál
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

I've been married to the same she-lion for the last 31 years, so I'm not much of a 'lone wolf' any more, lol. :D

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

I was given brother Raven as my totem by the Haida of British Columbia. It is something deeply personal and spiritual for me and I have had some amazing encounters with these wonderful animals throughout my life. I really enjoy bringing it into my persona where I can. Such as the name of Hrafnakveðja (in the tongue of the Northmen) which means Raven-Caller. There is a real life story behind this name, but I adapted it to my persona and use it as one of his epithets.
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
imaginatus
Wayfarer

Post by imaginatus »

I haven't thought much about animal totems for my persona yet, since i'm a newb. But I am a Leo, so lions have always had a place in my heart. Was also the team for my high school (back in the second age, it feels like).
Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

imaginatus wrote:I haven't thought much about animal totems for my persona yet, since i'm a newb. But I am a Leo, so lions have always had a place in my heart. Was also the team for my high school (back in the second age, it feels like).
A totem has nothing to do with what Tolkien wrote, and certainly not necessary for a Ranger persona.
Hávamál