Looking for some boot options

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Looking for some boot options

Post by Manveruon »

I love the gaiters you came up with! Very practical, and also inconspicuous! It would probably be fairly easy to make something similar in leather as well, if you wanted something a bit more rugged and hard-wearing.

Also, if you're interested, here is a build-along thread I did a while back for my own ranger boots! I started with a pair of 13th Century low boots from Viking Leathercrafts, and then added a taller leg shaft. I would do a few things differently were I to remake them (which I'm considering doing soon), but overall they have served me quite well over the last 5 or so years!
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2480

I'm very curious to know more about those Tilly Jackboots as well! I looked them up and they seem to be quite nice overall - but I really wish I could see more pictures of them, particularly with someone actually wearing them out and about. I especially like that they seem to have a round toe, as I have never been especially fond of the classic pointed medieval toe design on most historical reproduction boots.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Thanks! I hadn't actually thought about making them out of leather, because they were going to be a stop-gap measure until I purchased boots...but honestly, since they seem to be so practical in actual use, I might just decide to make a leather set to use indefinitely; doing so would make their storage so much simpler, and I could still wear my comfy tactical boots underneath.

You're boot tutorial is awesome; I hadn't thought about actually modifying an existing pair of low boots or shoes...I can see how it would work! Like yourself, I'm not really fond of the pointed medieval toe, preferring a square (not historically accurate, I'm sure) or rounded toe. I hope you decide to make a new pair, and we can follow along with your build.

These purport to be Tilly jackboots actually being worn, although I can't swear to it:

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Those boot toppers look nice :P

I've been using boot toppers/gaiters made from leather since before I joined the forum and I have to agree that it's a practical, if not accurate, solution, it's surprising how much warmth it adds
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Well, thanks to Ken's link on the FB group about the holiday sales, I pulled the trigger on a pair of the Tilly jackboots (and a pair of lace-on sleeves for my Garen jerkin); using the 20-percent off coupon from Dark Knight Armory, I was able to save about 32 bucks right off the top.

I'll post up some pics when they finally arrive. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ghostsoldier wrote:Well, thanks to Ken's link on the FB group about the holiday sales, I pulled the trigger on a pair of the Tilly jackboots (and a pair of lace-on sleeves for my Garen jerkin); using the 20-percent off coupon from Dark Knight Armory, I was able to save about 32 bucks right off the top.

I'll post up some pics when they finally arrive. :P

Rob
Any updates on those items? I realize shipping can take quite a while this time of year.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Actually, yes....I forgot to reply, as it has been quite busy this time of year.

Sadly, I'll have to report that the Tilly jackboots fell well below my expectations, especially in quality and sizing options. I ordered a size 45 Euro (12 U.S., which is my boot size), and they were much too small for my foot; based on the relative size and scaling of my feet, the size 13 (the only larger size available) still might not fit me either, so I opted to return the boots for store credit. I also have a wide (D) foot, and these boots are incredibly narrow...the website shows them being broad across the instep, but the versions I received were extremely narrow. If you have a smaller foot, your mileage may vary, but they just wouldn't work for me.

The quality is something else that was lacking, in my opinion; while I've had success with Mythalon products from DKA in the past (the lace-on leather sleeves I ordered at the same time are spot-on for my matching Garen jerkin), these boots...of unknown origin...were made of incredibly stiff leather (it looked like cowhide), the brown dye was not consistent, the stitching was erratic, and although they were obviously leather, the soles were flimsy, thin and look as if they would be very uncomfortable for long-term wear. I couldn't have lasted a day on my feet in these at a convention, much less for practical outdoor rangering use.

While the product photos look nice, based on the pair that I received, I can't in good conscience recommend these boots to anyone looking for some serious footwear. I'll continue to use my boot covers for now, until such time as I can find an economical (and aesthetically pleasing) tall boot option.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well that's disappointing to hear. Thanks for your pur honest impressions though! Very good to know for any other folks who might be considering them.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Manveruon wrote:Well that's disappointing to hear. Thanks for your pur honest impressions though! Very good to know for any other folks who might be considering them.
Yeah, I was equally disappointed, as they looked promising on the website; the old adage of "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" fits this experience to a T. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

I’ve been eyeballing a pair of these for a while from Armstreet.

They seem utilitarian and I’m hopeful the quality is as good as they look.

Maybe this would be an option for you as well?

https://m.armstreet.com/store/footwear/ ... ots-forest
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Rainor_Elulith wrote:I’ve been eyeballing a pair of these for a while from Armstreet.

They seem utilitarian and I’m hopeful the quality is as good as they look.

Maybe this would be an option for you as well?

https://m.armstreet.com/store/footwear/ ... ots-forest
Wow...thanks for the link! Those look like they would fit the bill perfectly. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Ghostsoldier wrote:
Wow...thanks for the link! Those look like they would fit the bill perfectly. :P

Rob

Glad I could help! :)