On Bedrolls and Comfort

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: On Bedrolls and Comfort

Post by Greg »

That looks VERY dwarven to my eye.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote:That looks VERY dwarven to my eye.
Agreed :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Taurinor wrote:I think another angle on "2) He has spent more time wandering and sleeping in the wilds than any of us have been alive" that seems related to acclimation but slightly different is familiarity with the terrain. In addition to being used to the cold, Aragorn knows the land like the back of his own hand. He knows which way the prevailing winds blow, what the approaching rain smells like, and the like, and can choose campsite accordingly. It also seems like Rangers leave at least some small preparations at sites they come back to on occasion ("Rangers have been here lately. It is they who left the firewood behind." FotR, Book I, Chapter 11: "A Knife in the Dark"). I don't think they would have anything as formal as waystations or the like, but the underside of a rocky outcropping that stays dry even in the rain, a stand of low-branched pines with a thick carpet of needles, or the large trunk of a fallen tree that cuts the wind just right seem like things they would note and return to, if needed.

As Greg said, Aragorn has several decades of wandering on us, but if folks have some favorite woods to tromp about it, that sort of a familiarity seems like something to strive for!
This is our hobby. Unfortunately, for untold thousands of homeless people, knowing where the best natural shelter is located is an absolute survival skill. I was giving a hitch-hiker in California a lift and he told me, "If you ever find yourself homeless, find a mattress store. The big cardboard boxes that mattresses come in can quickly turn into a 'pup tent,' and in dry climates, if you get them wet when you fold them, they dry harder and become more durable." Not anything I would have known or thought of had I not had that conversation. But exactly the kind of 'lay of the land' knowledge you're talking about.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Interesting info, Straelbora!

Another reason I've been mulling over for making this change is another tactical consideration that we've discussed at some length over the years: What do you take when you get ambushed in the middle of the night and have to take off in a great hurry?

In the past, that question has been answered with "Grab sword/Grab bow+Quiver/grab both and get out of dodge..." and similar...but there's almost always the understanding that something is going to get left behind.

Here with this change, we have a very different scenario. My sword unbuckles from my belt, and everything else is hanging off my quiver straps...snapsack and tinderbox contain virtually everything. I wear my belt+seax+need wallet to bed (I spin my belt around backwards when cooking and generally around camp...it makes sitting easier, and keeps my saxe and wallet quick-to-hand when slicing potatoes and whatnot, and allows me to sleep without taking them off), so if I have to run like a pack of Wargs is closing, all I have to do is grab my quiver, bow, and sword. I'll have to work my waterskin into this scenario somehow, but buckling it and my quiver together before laying down to rest sounds like an easy, early solution for finding everything I want in the dark.

The only way this works, however, rides on the one variable we're discussing: IF I'm using my cloak as bedding. The moment I use a separate blanket roll, things will inevitably get left behind in a nighttime Warg-Attack scenario...a thing which is very much likely in the wilds we claim to wander, and it happened to the Fellowship shortly before Moria.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Does... that mean you sleep wearing your cloak?
If that's the case, I'm not understanding how your feet keep warm....ish.

Or do you just mean it's one less thing to grab?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Pretty much, yeah, it is worn. Given that the bocksten is essentially an open-sided poncho, it goes over and under me, and can be wrapped closer for additional layers. The legs can be tucked up to include the feet, or not as one chooses. You can also cover feet with a solid pile of needles and brush, though chief in my concerns is changing socks. On cold nights, I put my day's socks on OVER my dry night socks.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Something I’ve been dwelling on since I finished up my new cloak is packing a lighter weight blanket or even just a smaller one to wrap around my legs and feet. This may be over obvious and I’m sure you’ve considered it but it could offer a “best of both worlds” solution in the long run.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

In the spirit of this project, the first thing I really needed to do was finish out my winter outerwear. To that end, I just stitched up a fitted Nockert Type 1 with side gores only and elongated underarm gussets (because swords) out of the beautiful gray-green wool that I reviewed in this past season's Edge of the Wild on Dwarves.

The sleeves are a loosely-snug fit, if that makes any sense. Tailored but not tight. I can't roll them up like I do my linen tunic...but this is for warmth, so no loss there. It feels like I'm wearing a blanket in a perpetual hug...which was kinda the goal since I'm cutting back a blanket 9 months out of the year. Should be able to put this on to make up for a lot of that loss.

Anyhow, it was mid-20's in temps today and I was toasty. This is actually my first ever photo in what I'll call my new completed full kit, including the new goatskin bota and my Yew Longbow. I need to make a new atm guard still, and there's another short project that's on topic with this thread that I need to sort out for carrying the extra clothing when I'm not wearing it...but I'm gonna say it's complete.

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

How awesome!! That looks quite toasty indeed!

How did the tight sleeves work out over the course of a walk? I find in warm clothes in winter overheat pretty quickly once I'm moving, especially with any amount of load. In modern clothes it's easy to just open up a couple top layers: I'm not certain how I'd do with a fairly snug wool tunic.

Or is the tunic still thin enough that this a "I"m way too cold when I start out, but it warms up to comfortable" thing?

... also, I'm sure you're in better shape than I am. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's not super-tight...they're just tapered.

My "start cold end warm" rule is situational. If it's cold with wind, I want to start warm, because my layers will chill over time, and I'll be cut through eventually. When temps are this low and you're reasonably acclimated, the difference between cold and comfortable gets smaller. Here, my arms and legs weren't comfortable when I set out, but my torso was. By the end, the extremities had caught up through work.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oooh... the Rechteckmantel is really interesting. Not reading German: are there rules of thumb for sizing? eg - "about heel-to-nose high, about two heads wider than your height" from the line drawing?
Are they contemporaneous with sewn hoods? I realize it's a redundancy, but I'm curious if both might have been worn at once in heavy / cold weather.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Elleth wrote:Oooh... the Rechteckmantel is really interesting. Not reading German: are there rules of thumb for sizing? eg - "about heel-to-nose high, about two heads wider than your height" from the line drawing?
Are they contemporaneous with sewn hoods? I realize it's a redundancy, but I'm curious if both might have been worn at once in heavy / cold weather.
That image appears to be from here, and if Google Translate is to be believed, it states "The size is variable. Some coats were up to three meters wide and two meters long, were partially taken twice. Others were little more than a fashionable cape. Since today most of the panels are woven to a width of approx. 150cm and it is advisable to use the selvages as outsides, because the fabric does not fray there, I recommend a single layer of thick wool fabric between two and three meters in length (depending on the size of the fabric) carrier).” So, 2-3 yards of 60" fabric, but no references are given. I think "partially taken twice" is Google-Translate-silliness for describing the partial fold depicted in the picture.

I've had a hard time finding good dates for the use of a rectangular cloak other than that they were probably in use for a very long time. Like Odigan said, Viking reenactors like them, and the Skjoldehamn hood has been dated to 1050-1090, which would be the late Viking era. So, were they used together? ...Maybe? I know reenactors do it, but I don't know if they can demonstrate clear evidence that it was done. Looking at art might provide an answer, but I find artwork from that period to be difficult to glean details from.

For our purposes, I think pairing a rechteckmantel with a hood would be very reasonable.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)