Ranger Shoulder Bag

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Ranger Shoulder Bag

Post by theowl »

A few months ago when Manveruon was uploading his pictures of the layers of ranger gear he got me thinking about a dunedain satchel, which makes a lot of sense from a practical standpoint. You can't fit everything your're going to need into a belt pouch, and you might need to access stuff faster than you can get into your bedroll/snapsack. So this works as a sort of middle container for stuff that's too big for a pouch and too necessary to be packed away in a backpack.

I was debating making it out of Bison, but I made a bag for a customer out of 4-5 ounce suede and I really liked how light and flexible it was. the whole bag weighs about a pound, and conforms to the body so it's as out of the way as I need it to be. I did the star overlay in green suede and the closure is a strip of 8-10 ounce latigo with an elk antler tip to hold everything in place (another inspiration from Manveruon)

Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Ranger Shoulder Bag

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow that's beautiful! Nice job!
Frodo lives!
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Nice!
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Great work...it's been my experience that suede is really nice to work with.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is lovely stitching!
I do like that star attachment design as well.

The way the buckle works is interesting - I've been meaning to play with that concept at some point, but alas... no time soon.
:)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote:
The way the buckle works is interesting - I've been meaning to play with that concept at some point, but alas... no time soon.
:)
I used a conway buckle for the first time a few months ago, and I love them. Every purse I made for family members during the holidays came with one for the strap. They're super simple, they hold the strap securely, and they don't take up a lot of space.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks good. I can see his leather closure in your design...cool!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

I love love love this bag! Looks excellent! How is the suede for water resistance? I have never really worked with it but I have some to use in a belt pouch I will be making.
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja wrote:I love love love this bag! Looks excellent! How is the suede for water resistance? I have never really worked with it but I have some to use in a belt pouch I will be making.
Thanks! From my experience, suede keeps out water about as well as untreated canvas, if a little bit better. I'm debating treating the bag with some mink oil to help it out with water resistance, but I'm in southern California so it's not my biggest concern.
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

theowl wrote:
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja wrote:I love love love this bag! Looks excellent! How is the suede for water resistance? I have never really worked with it but I have some to use in a belt pouch I will be making.
Thanks! From my experience, suede keeps out water about as well as untreated canvas, if a little bit better. I'm debating treating the bag with some mink oil to help it out with water resistance, but I'm in southern California so it's not my biggest concern.

Oh perfect, that's pretty good as is. But yea I doubt you will need it. Being up in Canada we get a fair amount of rain, but my concern is mainly to do with snow as well, Hahaha.
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Suede should work pretty well for you, especially if you treat it.

I made a suede bag like mine for a friend who's a canoe guide and it gets splashed all the time with no ill effect.

Suede has a bad reputation, but that's either from people with low quality suede or people who throw a fit when their leather gets a scuff.