wool vs heavy linen for trousers?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

wool vs heavy linen for trousers?

Post by Elleth »

for those that have used both linen trousers and wool in woods-roaming, which have you preferred?

I've up to now used linen of various weights - mostly I suppose because it's familiarly close to the jeans most all of wear every day. But it seems the historical answer - and on here - has generally been wool.

If you've used both: what works the best for you? I'd assume wool is better for not getting clammy when wet, but worse for wear resistance and picking up burrs.
Is there a solid reason for preferring one over the other?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: wool vs heavy linen for trousers?

Post by Ursus »

Im more of a wool guy than linen. I do have a pair of generic homemade pants from heavy linen that I wear more in the hot months.

My woolen ones are nothing more that a gutted pair of vintage military field pants that got a lengthy walnut dye bath and a drawstring installed after removing the zipper, all the lining, and sewing shut the pockets and fly. Better pants and new boots are the main bits of gear on the docket this year though. I prefer them for all of the common reasons wool clothing is praised for from wicking to warmth.

Picking up burrs and the like isn’t really an issue as
my boots,tunic, and jerkin are knee length. As to wear and tear they have been going strong since before I joined the forum. Though the material likely isn’t 100 percent wool nor the weave an accurate type either.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Nice! Thank you!

.... I think I will give a set a try this spring to see how they do. So much to learn!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

What I've found it that in my climate it depends on the weather, wool is definitely better in wet, snow or cold. It doesn't get water-logged nearly as quickly, Like Ursus burrs and such doesn't seem to bother me, probably because closer weave wool is quite hard wearing anyway and boots, gaiters/leg-wraps and surcoat/cloak cover most of my legs anyway. In summer/warm weather I go for linen, it's lighter, cooler and more breathable

I think I've just repeated the same thing Ursus said :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.