In Search of Pre-Made Body Linens

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

In Search of Pre-Made Body Linens

Post by Greg »

I'm working on a kit for my wife, and am admittedly (and unashamedly) looking for a shortcut. I need a smock/chemise/whatever in linen with a non-gathered neckline. Preferably a natural linen, not bleached. Don't really care if it's scooped or a keyhole, and I don't care if it's tastefully machine-sewn since she'll only wear it a few times a year. If I try to hand sew this thing it'll never be done...I already have to do that with the outer layers.

Burgschneider refuses to work in linen, and etsy's prices that I'm finding are prohibitively high.

Suggestions/sources? Thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: In Search of Pre-Made Body Linens

Post by Taurinor »

Oof, any time you want 100% linen, the price shoots way up. I did a little poking around, and everything I could find was at least $90 or $100.

The best ones I was able to find were:

Historic Enterprise’s 14th-15th century smock - about $100 and I can’t tell if it’s bleached or unbleached, but it has no visible machine stitching

Linen Garb’s linen dress - $90, and they’re a bit low on stock and don’t seem to have an unbleached option, but I’ve seen some of their stuff in person. It’s good quality, and they’ll at least get back to you if you ask about custom work.

Sorry that I couldn’t find much!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I just got some from Slav Medieval Shop on etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SlavMedievalShop

She sews modern tags into the collar, so you might have to remove and restitch if you care - but the work is quite nice and the price quite fair I thought. Very good for "I just don't have the time to do this myself" work.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Don't know if this fits the era you're going for but have a linen shirt and a wool waistcoat from these guys and they're both awesome. https://www.samsonhistorical.com/collec ... inen-shift The 100% linen one isn't available yet, but it should be $80 - $100 when it is. They cotton/linen one they offer is only $50 https://www.samsonhistorical.com/collec ... 2324077671
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Also, not sure about the bleaching on Sampson's linen. My shirt is a bit off-white, but not as dark as other linen I've used.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I settled on a solution, and it'll be on its way in another day or two. Taurinor, you hit the nail on the head.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

I know you’ve already decided on a place Greg but I just thought I’d throw Revival Clothing on the list.
https://revivalclothing.com/product/womens-chemise/

They have all kinds of reproduction clothing and the prices are in Canadian Dollars. So you Southerners can knock off about 30% (just an estimate) ;)
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow