Grommet's Leathercraft

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Grommet's Leathercraft

Post by Taylor Steiner »

https://youtu.be/LJBlMmvvHm8
Awesome stuff by theowl!
Frodo lives!
theowl
Vendor

Re: Grommet's Leathercraft

Post by theowl »

Oh hey, that's me!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks for the link to the video, the demo of the pouch fastening is interesting, and that camp chair is really clever, I wouldn't mind some more info on what's between the three bolts that hold the wood in place?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

The bolts seem to be welded at the center.
Attachments
Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg
Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 14970 times
Frodo lives!
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

For my personal stool I had a local welding shop spot weld 3 bolts together. Tandy started offering these ones a year or so ago which definitely made making Taylors a lot easier.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welded together, nice, thanks for that info :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

"Nothing's forgotten."
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That's a bit pricey for 3 bolts welded together, although the curved washers are a nice touch, thanks for the link
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

You don't want to know what I paid to have the guy weld 3 bolts together.. :!:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I can't help but think if you took three eyebolts, opened the eye of one passed it though the other eyes of the other two and then closed it would work just as well and be a lot cheaper. Next time I swing by Lowes or Home Depot, I'll test it out.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

theowl wrote:You don't want to know what I paid to have the guy weld 3 bolts together.. :!:
I can weld so I don't need to worry
Peter Remling wrote:I can't help but think if you took three eyebolts, opened the eye of one passed it though the other eyes of the other two and then closed it would work just as well and be a lot cheaper. Next time I swing by Lowes or Home Depot, I'll test it out.
Nice idea :P
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Peter Remling wrote:I can't help but think if you took three eyebolts, opened the eye of one passed it though the other eyes of the other two and then closed it would work just as well and be a lot cheaper. Next time I swing by Lowes or Home Depot, I'll test it out.
Not a bad idea. I'm curious how the spacing and the bolts not being fixed would affect the the leg movement.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Iodo wrote: I can weld so I don't need to worry
Want to make me some tri-bolts?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

theowl wrote:
Not a bad idea. I'm curious how the spacing and the bolts not being fixed would affect the the leg movement.

Once the top is contained by the leather saddle and the bottom of the tripod is on or in the ground there should be very little movement. I'll move this up on the priority list and we'll find out.

For those who want one but with a more traditional feel, take/forge three pieces of metal into straight rods. Form the eyes, loop two through the third and using a washed peen them through the wood legs.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

theowl wrote:
Iodo wrote: I can weld so I don't need to worry
Want to make me some tri-bolts?
I would If I were closer to you, it would cost more to ship them out to you than they are on tandy